Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone use this?

Does anyone use http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OPTECH-UTILITY...00960928659552

I've been thinking about buying one to get the camera off my neck as when I spent a day with the camera round my neck I spent afterwards with a right crick.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Re: Does anyone use this?

Not used one myself, but I think they do Male and Female ones (with extra curve!) at Jessops
    .....hope your neck gets better
    Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

Di hope your neck gets better soon. I don't use one of these but do use the Optech standard neck strap which is infinitely more comfortable than the Canon one, others do use the slings and to be honest I am looking to get one as it is easier than a neck strap

Comment

I too have been looking into getting one.

Peter
        There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Similar threads on here about straps... worth reading if you can.

Quite a few on here rate the optech straps. I went for the Black Rapid RS7 and love it. So comfortable and easy to use, you almost forget you've got a camera on your shoulder! Whatever you go for, it will be an improvement on the provided strap, thats' for certain!

Mike
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Same strap as Mike.... Black Rapid RS7... not the cheapest but so so comfortable to use.

David
            David

Comment

I've seen these ( also the ones with extra curves for us ladies) but what about the screen of the camera when it's hanging down? Won't it get scratched? I have a screen protector on mine but nevertheless studs from jeans and the like......
              “Seeing is not enough; you have to feel what you photograph” – Andre Kertesz
              http://smphotography.foliopic.com/

Comment

Mazzie, have a look at the video clip on the Black Rapid site. The camera hangs at an angle that the screen does not rub against jean studs. You can adjust the length of the strap to have the "hanging height" as you want it. I have mine adjusted so that it hangs just beside my right hand to give me instant access.

David
                David

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                  Di hope your neck gets better soon. I don't use one of these but do use the Optech standard neck strap which is infinitely more comfortable than the Canon one, others do use the slings and to be honest I am looking to get one as it is easier than a neck strap
                  I have also used the OpTech camera strap on all my cameras and I think it is something that everyone should use and it's less than £20.
                  I have not used the sling so can not comment but the camera strap will also stop the "crick".

Comment

Thanks all. :smile: Ordered one. Will let you know what its like. :smile:

Mazzie I confess I too was worried about scratching the lens, but to get the camera off my neck, I slung it handbag style over my shoulder. It was only after I dropped my handbag because it slipped did I realise the risk in this move.

I've had a good look and apparently you can buy extra attachment loops so if you don't want it at just one side you can fasten the camera like a normal strap. I'll also let you know if I have to do that. :smile:
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

Used the OpTech straps but just purchased the Black Rapid DR-2 - Very nice allowing easy use of 2 cameras but can split to become a single sling :) Expensive though - but worth it.
                      5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

This series of posts spured me on to buy the Balck Rapid strap tha I had been considering for a long time, I went for the RS-Sport after speaking with a couple of people who had the strap as the shoulder pad was better shaped and not for the extra under arm security strap. It arrived a couple of days ago from Crooked Image who had a good deal on them and I must say it is a great improvement over the very good Optec neck strap

Comment

Looked at the Black rapid, but have a long list of wants. Maybe in the future.

Strap arrived today and has two utility loops already with it. :smile: The idea is that you can either attach something else you want to lug around, Or you can use it on your battery grip if your battery grip has a strap loop.

Got it on to the camera and tried it on. Strap feels comfortable on the shoulder, seems to be padded enough to work and not make it bulky. Wonder if I will still think the same when I've used it for a hour. The loops took some feeding through the strap attachments on the camera, but once on feel secure. As the strap goes across your body, the loops slide up and down it so that it can come into the shoot position. Theres a stop on the strap to make sure it doesn't slide completely to the back. Can also adjust the length.. if need be the camera could be up practically under my arm. Worried about it bouncing about as I walk, but I tend to walk around with one hand on my camera anyway, so I guess its a habit I'm not going to get out of.

Feels quite comfortable, not really took any shots while its on yet, or been for a walk with it... will let you know if it drives me round the twist... :smile:

Can also clip the camera on an off because they are on quick release gadgets. Not sure about them.. may make use of some small tie wraps to make it secure. (my kind of secure :smile: )
                          Last edited by DeeGee; 15-07-2011, 21:17. Reason: added info and an inability to spell.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X