Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CF or UDMA ?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and the Magazine. I'm running a 5D Mk11. I've searched the forum and haven't been able to find the answer to this.
    I have several CF cards inc: 8GB Silicon Power 133X, 8GB SanDisk Extream IV and 8GB Sandisk Extream (Ducati). Should I move to UDMA?
    I mainly take Landscape and Equestrian pictures (and I promise to put some up soon). I have a major holiday coming up in the USA and want to make sure I have enough memory.

Thanks in advance

Martyn
    Martyn

EOS 5D mkll, EOS 60D, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF 16-35mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/4 L IS

Re: CF or UDMA ?

I would suggest that the 5DII does not require highest speed cards unless you are going to be machine gunning.

Shooting on the 5DII I get about 500 full sized RAW pictures on a 16mb card - or over a 1000 sRaw.
    ef-r

Comment

Remember you'll need a CF-UDMA Card Reader to get the maximum speed for downloading if you use an external card reader. I use the Lexar one (it’s backward compatible with none UDMA) and supports SD and SDHC (which my G10 uses).

But if you are thinking of buying a batch of cards ... then to future proof it'll do no harm buying UDMA. Or if you are planning to get a 7D to complement your 5D2 it’s probably a very good idea.

Comment

THe only reason to get a fast card is when you are shooting rapid. I have been caught out with slow cards a couple of times as the 5D RAW files are pretty big. Also the speed of the card affects the download speed to your PC .

I'd suggest a 30Mb/sec speed is reasonable especially if doing equestrian stuff. Faster is better and slower can mean you have to wait for the buffer catching up - depends what you shoot though and if you use Raw or Jpg.
        5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Working...
        X