Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is a Circular Polaizer ber than a Linear Polaizer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is a Circular Polaizer ber than a Linear Polaizer?

Whist on holiday I fitted my old A series Cokin Linear Polaizer to my new 500D and got some great results. However, I read that a Circular Polaizer is better for DSLRs than a Linear Polaizer. I went into the local Camera shop with a view of getting a Circular one but they had none in. As I was upgrading to the P series Cokin filters I decided on getting the only Polaizer they had there, which was a Linear one. I bought it with a view of selling it later when I got a Circular one.

Having fitted the new P series, I still got aweosme results. Now I understand that Linear Polaizers have stright line running through them, hence the term Linear, and circular Polaizers have cirles running through them, hence the term circular. My question is, why is Circular better for DSLRs than linear?
    [Canon 7D Mk II .. gripped] [Canon 500D .. gripped] [EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM] [EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM] [EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM] [EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM] [EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit] [Speedlite 430EX II] [Cokin P filter system ]

My Photos
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Life-...05270809634981
    https://www.facebook.com/markkaye38/...2158274&type=3
    @mkphotography7dii Instagram

Re: Why is a Circular Polaizer ber than a Linear Polaizer?

Quote: luminous-landscape.com
    Linear polarizers are more effective and less expensive than circular ones. But circular polarizers are needed with just about any camera that has a through-the-lens metering system, or autofocus.

The reason for this is that both of these systems use semi-silvered mirrors to siphon off some of the light coming though the lens. If that light is linearly polarized it renders either the metering or the autofocus ineffective. This means that you're going to have to buy circular polarizers unless you're shooting with a pre-1970's camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
      Quote: luminous-landscape.com
      I am not too sure I understand. Sorry. My metering works (unless by ineffective you mean it is giving me the wrong info(and it is giving me the 2 stops down that I expected)) and my auto focus works fine also.
      [Canon 7D Mk II .. gripped] [Canon 500D .. gripped] [EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM] [EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM] [EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM] [EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM] [EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit] [Speedlite 430EX II] [Cokin P filter system ]

My Photos

Comment

I tried a Linear on my 300 f4 and it wouldn't AF.
        Works perfectly with my CP.

Mike
        www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

So, if my Metering is working, and my auto focus is working, can i continue using my linear polaizer, or, will i get better result from a circular one, or the same results?

My Photos

Comment

I am interested in this as well. I have circular polarisers. My AF etc works fine with my cameras and lenses.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

No member has volunteered any information on this question. Am I to assume that it doesn't matter which polariser filter one uses?
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Another quote:
                Linear polarizers should not be used on DSLR cameras, because they can result in metering errors. Circular polarizers, on the other hand, are perfect for DSLRs and do not cause any metering issues due to their construction. Circular polarizing filters are essentially linear polarizers, with a second glass element attached to their back that circularly polarizes the light, giving accurate exposure results when the light hits the light meter. When the two elements are aligned at the right handle and orientation from the sun, the captured image could have more saturated colors, bluer skies, less reflections and higher overall contrast. Polarizing filters can also reduce haze, which is very useful for landscape photographers.
                The effect of polarization changes relative to the sun. The maximum effect of polarization is achieved when the lens is pointed 90 degrees from the sun (in any direction).

Comment

Have a look at this article on Polarizing Filters HERE

and a quote from the article in the link......

Circular vs. Linear Polarizers. The circular polarizing variety is designed so that the camera's metering and autofocus systems can still function. Linear polarizers are much less expensive, but cannot be used with most digital SLR cameras (since these use through-the-lens (TTL) metering and phase detection autofocus).

David
                  Last edited by djguk47; 10-11-2011, 12:55. Reason: Added some more information....
                  David

Comment

I have nothing to contribute to the debate except to say if you're lookign for a circular polarizer give Mifsuds a ring. I picked up a perfect 2nd hand 72mm Hoya Circular Polarizer for £10. One of my local shops (jacobs) wanted £90 for a new 1 :-0
                    Rob
                    Canon 60D, Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 Macro, shutter remote
                    Shopping list: Tripod, 70-200mm tele zoom, fast prime, flash, filters ........

Comment

NEW Hoya 72mm Pro1 Circular Polarizing Filter £47.96 from Amazon
                      NEW Hoya 77mm Pro1 Circular Polarizing Filter £60.34 from Amazon

Comment

OR £10 2nd hand but as new from Mifsuds :-)
                        Rob
                        Canon 60D, Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 Macro, shutter remote
                        Shopping list: Tripod, 70-200mm tele zoom, fast prime, flash, filters ........

Comment

Originally posted by warrerj View Post
                          OR £10 2nd hand but as new from Mifsuds :-)
                          I always buy Hoya Pro1 new and refuse to pay Mifsuds £132.00 for a new 77mm Pro1 when I can buy it for £60.00 elsewhere.
                          Some of their "used" lenses are priced similar to new prices.
                          Example: Used Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L USM £949.00, New price £989.00 from WEX or Jessops or only £952.32 from Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                          X