Filter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter question

I have been thinking of trying a graduated filter for landscapes, but I am concerned that it would degrade the lens.
    Any views on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ian
    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Re: Filter question

Hi Deva32. I use graduated filters quite often and like everything else i'm afraid you pay for what you get. I can not remember the make I use only that they were quite expensive. Also be careful of the type. I found the round ones better than the square. With the cheaper square systems the light can leak in from the side of the filter holder causing streaks to appear on the pictures.The round one are okay and can be screwed on like a normal filter then swiveled around to suit the area you want to underexpose. Of course if you pay more you get more but none of the systems I have seen advertised meet all requirements. Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Treff

Comment

Treff - Thanks for your advice. I will have to shop around for a good quality one.
      EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Ian
        I started using Cokin Z-Pro grad filters. The Z-pro are 100mm wide compared to the P series which are only 84mm wide.
        I chose the Z-Pro for the reason that Treff mentioned
        With the cheaper square systems the light can leak in from the side of the filter holder causing streaks to appear on the pictures
        A new Z-Pro set (U960) including holder, 3 grads and a case costs £119.00 from Bristol Cameras or £146.99 from Warehouse Express.
        Obviously mine came from Bristol Cameras at that price.

Cokin site

Hope it helps

Comment

Stephen - Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X