CPS in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPS in Europe

Canon has announced that they will offer CPS (Canon Professional Services) in Europe. They have it in the U.S.--I'm a member there. Besides a spiffy plastic membership card that you can flash at people to prove you're a professional photographer even when you don't have your camera with you, it comes with quick turn around repair service. You can read about CPS in Europe on this web page:

Lately, I've been thinking of buying a Canon 14mm f/2.8 L wide-angle lens. In the U.S., CPS members are allowed to borrow lenses for a week or so to try out. I tried seeing if I could get one sent to me in Milan (they wouldn't), or borrow one the next time I'm in the U.S. However, the department that handles lens loaners is terrible. It's a nice idea, but not if I can't get past the humans that send out the lenses. Anyway, I'm hoping that the lens borrowing program will be included in the European CPS program. So far I don't see that it is included. But I'm still hoping. I guess I should just rent one.

P.S.: Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I don't see a section for services and repairs.

Re: CPS in Europe

I’ve just tried to register some equipment on the CPS site and I see they’ve lost all my serial numbers which I have to confirm before I can log on. They have most of my purchase dates as 1900.

Comment

The lens loan service kicks in if they can't repair your lens within the specified time, which is 3 days for Gold and 2 days for Platinum (can't remember what it is for Silver). If you are shooting at a CPS attended event, you can often have a loan immediately if your lens fails on the day.

For general loan lenses, it's best to cultivate a relationship with your Canon Pro dealer. Hire one of their lenses and if you subsequently purchase, they will often knock the hire costs of the price off the lens. If you have a good relationship with them, they will often loan you a lens for free.

I have just re-registered with CPS and despite having three 1 series bodies and enough L series lenses to shake a stick at, I got Gold instead of Platinum membership. Apparently, my 1 series film camera doesn't count! Oh, and the drop down menu for the purchase date section wouldn't let me register any date newer than 2008, so apparrently I have had a 1D MKIV two years before it was available ............ now that is clever! Rant over and normal service will now be resumed.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Ems View Post
        I’ve just tried to register some equipment on the CPS site and I see they’ve lost all my serial numbers which I have to confirm before I can log on. They have most of my purchase dates as 1900.
        I found they only had the first couple of numbers of the serial numbers, followed by stars. You have to enter the original serial number again against each item, as an indication that you still own the kit.

Purchase date of 1900 huh? I bet that made that Fox-Talbot chappie a bit envious. You with a modern EOS and a bagful of lenses and him with some old wood, brass and leather thingy!

Colin
        Colin

Comment

Great. As if I haven’t got anything else to do.

Comment

Originally posted by russelljtdyer View Post
            Canon has announced that they will offer CPS (Canon Professional Services) in Europe. They have it in the U.S.--I'm a member there.
            Just a small correction - CPS has been available in the UK and Europe for many years. It is currently undergoing a relaunch.
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Yep - did my re-registration last night. I'm no'but a Silver :-(

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                Yep - did my re-registration last night. I'm no'but a Silver :-(
                You got in. Rumour has it they are a lot more stringent this time.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

Besides a spiffy plastic membership card that you can flash at people to prove you're a professional photographer even when you don't have your camera with you.
                  Sorry Russel, I think you mean a membership card that proves you own some canon equipment – nothing else.
                  Have I got that wrong ?

I know loads of people who are members who’ve never sold a picture in their life; they just have the required amount of kit.

The mythical 'access all areas' card doesn't exist. I'm sure as a professional photographer you knew that, I only mention it to help others that didn't know
                  Millie

Comment

I got my first 'press' pass today to cover a lower league football match

This is from following Millie's advise - I am taking pictures for the football club on an initial one off basis
                    ef-r

Comment

I got my first 'press' pass today to cover a lower league football match
                      Nice of you to say that Brian - well done to you !

Millie

Comment

Sorry to be negative about CPS - I'm just expressing honestly held views. I think I should take more time to word my comments in a more postive way

Millie

Comment

Nah - it's much more fun when you vent your spleen spontaneously otherwise everything gets sanitized these days!
                          I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                          Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                            Sorry to be negative about CPS - I'm just expressing honestly held views. I think I should take more time to word my comments in a more postive way

Millie
                            A sanitized PC Millie? ..................... now that would never do!

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

If you have the lenses anyway, and signing up will give you benefits that help you then it’s a great thing.
                              My rant is directed in Canon’s direction not Russels, I just want to make that clear .
                              I hope you get to try that 14mm out !

Millie

Comment

Working...
                              X