Canon G7- lens closure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon G7- lens closure

I have just noticed that the lens cover on my G7 does not close fully- there is a small gap between the blades. Apart from this ,there is no problem with the camera itself- it works very well. I don't know why the lens cover blades doesn't fully close; is it the cold, or something else.

I know that the G7 is old technology but I am rather fond of this camera as it takes brilliant and sharp pictures.

I don't wish to force the blades to close bearing in mind that cameras are precision instruments, and I could cause more damage. Do I have to send this to Canon Elstree for repair in which case the cost of the repair will certainly outweigh the cost of the camera itself.

I would appreciate your advice on this.

Nathaniel
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Canon G7- lens closure

Nay, I have a G7, which did a similar thing a little while ago, I used the lens puffer to blow over the lens covers and also very lightly brushed them with a soft lens brush and this cleared the problem which I assumed was a small piece of debris that had found its way between the blades.

Comment

Thanks a lot Ian. It worked a treat and my "covert" G7 is fine now.Saved a bit of "dosh".
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Glad it worked for you, the G7 is a great little camera.

Comment

My G10 also suffers from this ... but given where my G10 goes that shouldn't be a surprise. Blast of air gets things back to normal.

Comment

Well thats a relief to know that even the G10 gets this sort of "hic cups"! I call my G7 as the "covert" camera; it allows me to take pics where photography is banned,forbidden or frowned upon. Note my Remembrance Sunday pics shown under "People ...... etc"

The funny thing is when I show the pics to the "powers be", they are happy to see them!!! & would like copies!

Comment

Working...
            X