Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon S120

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
    I wonder if Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, or Fuji adopt the same no supplied manual approach?

Dave
    I believe they did it before Canon.
    Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Originally posted by Columbarius View Post
      I've taken to downloading the manuals to my tablet & reading them with the Kindle app. I almost always have the tablet so there's no extra weight & the manuals are pretty easy to use.
      I use my phone - I always have that, and as such, it's actually a lot more use than a paper manual, in all honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
        Well, I e-mailed Canon UK to have a whinge about the lack of a manual (on Disk or printed) provided with the Canon S120.

Here's what they had to say:

"We are apologizing for the fact Canon doesn’t provide printed manuals anymore, due to environmental reasons. We understand you are disappointed, we don’t supply manuals anymore with purchased products."

Environmental reasons my arse, more like 'penny-pinching'

Ok, so a printed manual in 20 different languages might be expensive and wasteful, but the whole lot would fit on a single CD.

Nowhere in their advertising, or any of their retail outlets advertising, does it state that a user-manual is not provided with Canon products, and that if you want one, you have to buy it from a third-party source.

Sorry Canon, but as a lifelong dedicated Canon user, I'm not impressed!!.

Dave
        Thing is, Dave, most of the latest devices don't have a CD drive, be it tablets or laptops - Canon have made the software all downloadable now as a result.

My wife recently bought a laptop for her business - no handbook for that, either, nor a CD drive. It's the way of the world.

Comment

When I bought my wife a Panasonic camera (her choice) a couple of years ago it came with a basic "get you started" paper manual, and the full manual on a cd.

Before I even bought my 70D I downloaded the full manual to my lap-top from the Canon USA site. I have also, for years, been used to downloading the manuals for all my stereo and AV gear from the Sony UK site, including manuals for equipment out of production. (When it comes to that, I also downloaded the manual for a 550EX from the Canon USA site when I bought a second hand one without a manual)
          John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Mike (MikeP)

I'm now back from my Adriatic & Mediterranean Cruise, during which time I had a good play with the S120 (whenever I could get it out of the wife's hands ), and in a word 'impressive'.

Easy to use, pin sharp images, and good low light performance. So much so, I didn't have to use the flash.

For the £319 that it cost me (inc Canon cash-back) I'm very pleased with it.

Dave
            Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave - most useful info, thanks for the update.

I'm glad you're enjoying yours as much as I'm enjoying mine!

I went to Parks a month ago to replace a broken tripod... ended up coming away with the S120, and the 100 Macro L IS USM (both were in the cashback, so I treated myself) - and made the salesman happy!

Super little camera, and I'm still playing with it.

Good to hear you are enjoying it too!

Afgain - many thanks for remembering I was looking at one!

All the best, Mike.
              flickr
              5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Working...
              X