Which Camera!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Camera!!

A couple of years ago I purchased a Canon G12 for two reasons, first a camera to take out when I don't want to lug around my Canon 50D and various lenses, secondly a back up for when I go on holiday, don't want to take two 5OD's away, my kit becomes to heavy. Looked at the Canon EOS, but disappointed with the reviews, have considered the Fuji x100s, I know it has a fixed lens but has excellent reviews or something simalar. I rather pay the money for a quality camera with a good sensor to obtain the quality and results. Will be glad of your opinions!

Re: Which Camera!!

Try the Canon G15 or G16. Excellent backup cameras and for holidays. I have got the G15 and it is my faithful friend- goes with me all the time, when I drive out, with nothing photographic in my mind.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I also have a G12 for when I don't fancy carrying the "big stuff" around. The only upgrade I've thought about is for the G15/16, but it disappoints me that Canon have done away with the flip out screen, so for the time being the G12 is good enough for me.
      John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

It depends on how small you want to go.

I have just bought my wife the S120 compact, and I have to say that I'm quite impressed.

It will also be used as a backup for my 5D Mklll when away on holiday, or in places (especially abroad) where I don't feel comfortable walking around with the 5D plus L glass hanging around my neck.

Dave
        Dave

Comment

Since you mention the Fuji X100s, I would advise caution.

Like many people, I have now completely ditched my DSLR kit in favour of the X-Pro1 and 3 lenses. It's so easy to carry - weighs next to nothing, superb build-quaity and the killer is the IQ which is absolutely outstanding.

If you're just looking for a "pocket" camera, I would think there would be a need to ditch your G12. My G11 did sterling work until I made the mistake of "upgrading" it to the G1X.

For something a little small than the G12, as Dave_S says, the S120 is a cracker, but the bargain of the moment must be the SX280HS, which Currys are currently selling at £129.

Comment

It kind of depends on the size and cost you can live with and what you want to do with it? Also do you want a viewfinder?

Some thoughts:

Sony RX100 II - teeny and takes nice photos, but not an ideal user experience. Video is very good too.

Panasonic GM1 with the 12-32 kit lens. Just... oh, I said teeny for the last one, err, well then this'll be "teeny" I guess.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4us2felM9U - much fun unboxing

Canon G1X mk II

Olympus EM10 with some lens or other

Olympus Stylus 1 - 28-300mm constant f2.8 lens, but not that good in low light
            The Olympus Stylus 1 has taken the camera world by storm. Is this the world's ultimate bridge camera? Find out in our in-depth review!

Fuji X-A1 with the 16-50 lens (avoids any X-Trans issues)

Canon 100D if they come up with some more Pancake lenses, like a zoom - that's a "no" then

Sony A6000 with the ?16-70 lens f4 Zeiss (choosing a lens is the trick here, the Zeiss is a big large, but pretty light)

Panasonic GX7 with the 14-140 II lens (and the new 15mm or the 20mm prime for when it gets dark)

Compare unlimited number of cameras with lenses, see how compact or bulky a camera is and sort by height, width, depth and weight.

(Note they don't have some lenses, including the newer smaller Panny 14-140 so I used a 12-35 f2.8 on the GX7)

BTW I used to have what is the predecessor to the GX7 (a GF1, don't ask about the naming) for the same role (taking over from a Canon G7), with the 14-140 and 20/1.7, but have split it into a GH3 and a RX100 these days (which one to take depends on how light I want to go).
            Last edited by DrJon; 24-04-2014, 18:51. Reason: Added A6000 lens info

Comment

The flip up screen on the G12 and other DSLR's were at one time good selling points but now having used the G15 and the Canon 6D, I don't miss the flip up screen. I am also told that it can break easily if you turn it accidentally, the wrong way. My vote is for the G15 or G16.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I love the twist/tilt screen on the GH3, great for overhead (e.g. crowds) or waist-level shooting... which are things the 5DmkII really isn't good for (especially as the live-view AF is no good, like all the Canon DSLRs except the 70D IMHO, although hopefully that will improve soon with more dual-pixel models).

Comment

Flip out screens are good for High level and low level shooting, and using at right angles when the suns behind you and otherwise you couldn't see the screen. It's also great to be able to put the camera in your pocket with the screen closed and not have to worry about smudges or scratches on the screen. The G15/16 seem a little smaller and more compact then my G12 to me, so I assume that's why Canon left it off.
                  John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

That is a good point - I always keep the GH3's screen folded inwards. The 5DmkII has to take its chances...

Comment

I always fit a protective cover/screen on my LCD screen and hence I have had no problems to date. It also helps to keep the re-sale value of the camera.

Comment

I have a small micro four-thirds set-up in addition to my EOS kit, which I love taking around when I don't want to take the bulk around.

But if I had to choose one camera to travel the world with? I'd take my Fuji X100. This camera produces wonderful images, is light, and can be taken anywhere/everywhere. A perfect DSLR companion :-)
                        1Ds II, 1D IIN, 1D II, 5D, 1V HS, 3, 14L II, 16-35L II, 24-70L, 35 f/2, 40 STM, 50L, 85L II, 100L Macro, 135L, 70-200L f/2.8 IS, 70-300​DO, 300L f/4, 1.4x II, 2x II, 580EX II, 430EX II, 270EX, MR-14EX

Comment

I really like the Fuji X100s, except when I want to zoom in... which is an issue... (even if you have a TCL-X100 the RX100 is miles and miles better)...

Comment

Working...
                          X