Who to use for repairs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who to use for repairs???

My wife's Powershot SX200is has developed a problem, central white vertical line on all images and when looking through at a scene using the back screen.
    I have checked the Canon UK suggested repairers for the PowerShot and it looks like either Lehmans or Cholchester Repair Services are the people Canon say to use.
    Has anybody had any experiences with either?
    I know Lehmans are often mentioned for DSLR work, but was wondering who to use for a compact.

David
    David

Re: Who to use for repairs???

Hi David;

I've used Lehman's a couple of times for DSLR work, and been very happy with their service...

Their website says they do compact repairs; and they have an enquiry submission form; so you might get an idea of costs before you commit to send...

I can't think that their work-ethic will be any different for SLR v. Compact...

I suggest you upload a couple os sample images to sometrhing like PhotoBucket, and then give them the links so they can see what you're talking about. Might help them with diagnosis!

Good luck..
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Hi C-F,
      Thanks for replying.
      I will complete the Lehman's "form" and see what transpires. Hopefully it will still be under warrenty as it is only just 12 months old and I think I saw somewhere on the Canon UK site that there is a three year warrenty.
      Fortunately we found the problem with the PowerShot before spending the last week and a half in Cornwall so my wife "commandered" my TZ6 which is normally in my backpack so she was able to take "snaps" of what she wanted.

David
      David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
        Hi C-F,
        Thanks for replying.
        I will complete the Lehman's "form" and see what transpires. Hopefully it will still be under warrenty as it is only just 12 months old and I think I saw somewhere on the Canon UK site that there is a three year warrenty.
        Fortunately we found the problem with the PowerShot before spending the last week and a half in Cornwall so my wife "commandered" my TZ6 which is normally in my backpack so she was able to take "snaps" of what she wanted.

David
        You should have bought her a 1d IV with 70-200/2.8 II. When she found it too heavy you could have swapped for the 50D
        ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
          You should have bought her a 1d IV with 70-200/2.8 II. When she found it too heavy you could have swapped for the 50D
          G'day young Brian.... yep you are very possibly correct.

You have posted some great shots during your holiday in France.
          Sometime over the weekend I will hopefully post some of my shots taken during the 10 days in Cornwall.
          I cannot believe how "busy" the forum has been while I have been away.

David
          David

Comment

I had a bad experience with Colchester and a G7 a couple of years back... took 3 goes to get fixed...

Comment

I use Camserve In Herstmonceux. I have used them a few times, no fuss and no fancy prices.

More upfront on pricing than Canon approved outfits, who from my personal experience tend to view you as a captive market.

Trev

Comment

I recently had a problem with my 3 year old 17-85 IS. Lehmans quoted £151 just to look at it but did indicate that a repair might be included in that price.Canon UK quoted me a fixed price service for £51 with the same provisio should additional work be required. Guess who I sent it to?
                Canon fitted a new aperture unit & Power Diaphragm assembly, cleaned & recalibrated & returned within 10 days for £51.00.
                They kept me informed by email & text at every stage.
                Excellent service!

Bob
                Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help.
                  I sent the Powershot off to Lehmans who quoted £171 for repair which I gracefully declined as the new Powershot 210 is available for £249. The problem is with the sensor and apparently this means a new lens unit as well as a new sensor.
                  I contacted Canon as the camera was out of warranty by about 4 days and they have asked that I send it to them and request a warranty extension.

David
                  David

Comment

Sounds promising David ........... good luck with their response.

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Sounds promising David ........... good luck with their response.
                      When things are out of warranty, you can still persue a free repair on the basis that you haven't had acceptable use out of it.

On example is were a camera is said by the manufacturer to be good for a given number of actuations, and the camera has had good treatment and very light use and develops a fault due to a manufacturing defect.

Trev

Comment

Trev, thanks for the "tip".
                        My first "hurdle" was the receipt for the PowerShot, couldn't find it anywhere, rang Jessops, as I bought it from their telesales line, and they found my purchase record and are posting it to me tonight so well done Jessops for customer service.
                        Spoke with Canon service centre in Borehamwood and they said if it was out of warranty by up to a month then it should be repaired free of charge, they said they would inspect the camera and see what use it has had and the treatment it has received. Fingers crossed now.
                        Lehmans did say it appeared to be a manufacturing fault with the sensor.
                        Just so dam annoying.

David
                        David

Comment

Well the Powershot has arrived at Elstree today as I received the automated email avising me that Canon had received the Powershot. The delay in getting it to them was due to the fact it took Jessops almost three weeks to get the copy invoice to me.
                          The standard letter said that as the camera was out of warranty the repair would cost £102 or £5.88 if I did not want it repaired and returned to me.
                          Rang Elstree Support Customer Services and was told that as it was out of warranty then it was a chargeable repair.
                          Told them to check again as I had included the email from Canon Support indicating it would be repaired under warranty as the problem occurred only days after the warranty had expired.
                          The young lady from Customer Services had not seen the paperwork I had sent with the camera so when she read it she agreed that the repair would be under warranty and that they would give me 6 months warranty on the repair which should take about 5 days. They have to inspect the camera first to ensure that it has not been heavily used and abused.
                          So looks like a win.

Lesson to learn is to keep all emails from Canon Support and quote email reference numbers if you need to send anything back.

David
                          David

Comment

Lesson to learn is to keep all emails from Canon Support and quote email reference numbers if you need to send anything back.
                            And to keep the original receipts!

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

Latest update... email just received from Canon saying that the repair is currently being processed, so repair under warranty......result

but I think that SWMBO was hoping for the new model (SX210is) rather than have the repair done.

David
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X