Camera to external SSD in the field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera to external SSD in the field?

Just wondering if anyone knows: Is there anyway of just backing up from camera through USB to a SSD in the field? Or do I need to continue to take my laptop? Just my screen is starting to get a bit bashed up for continual use in my bag.
    Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Twitter: @PicturesqueScot

Re: Camera to external SSD in the field?

A similar question to which I asked back in August last year. HERE

Comment

It sounds like an idea but Power issues would need to be resolved and an interface between camera and SSD. A monster supply of SD/CF cards would be my first resolve then backup up onto something like
      a GIGA Vu Pro. This can be used direct from your computer or camera by USB lead, read the link.... http://www.photoanswers.co.uk/Gear/S...Pro-Evolution/
      This can also be used for editing and if you're in the "field" for long periods it may be the answer, works for me.
      Illy

Comment

thanks for the responses, I did search before I posted. I did try using an old 60GB ipod that had the card reader adapter (back in 2004 or 05) but it changed the names to all the files and made it hard to sync everything up. So very annoying and isn't SS.

I've been told that the Cowon solid state ones do it, but so expensive!

After reading through the other thread; I'm thinking of just putting a 32GB memory card in the SD slot and keeping my CF cards on my body or another bag when out for long times.

Thanks so much for the help and pointing me in the right direction. Stephen, what did you end up doing?

regards
        Gav.
        Sorry I've not been around much. Sadly the ankle surgery and carpal tunnel surgery have both been unsuccessful, so have to wait and see what happens next. I hope to be shooting a lot more in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigav View Post
          Stephen, what did you end up doing?
          Hi Gav

I did not find any gadgets so ended up with more memory cards.
          Memory cards take up very little space in a bag or pocket and prices are quite reasonable.

Comment

Thanks Stephen.

Comment

With the falling prices of sub 256GB SSHD I'm surprised I haven't seen any 'iPod' sized box for backing up a digital camera (or other devices for that matter). Could be I've just not noticed such things so I open to being corrected.

Comment

Working...
              X