Windows e-mail desktop short cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows e-mail desktop short cut

I don't know what I did but I have contrived to lose my desktop icon showing "windows e-mail", although I can still get to my e-mails by clicking on "all programs"! I would however like to get the desktop icon back to where it was and can any expert, knowledgeable member direct/help me to put it back?

Many thanks

Nat
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

First off look in your recycle bin to see if it's in there as that is where most things deleted go to begin with. If it is then right click it and select restore, it should place it back on desktop.

If not there then click Start. Go find it in your all programs or wherever you are opening it but instead of left clicking to open it from the start menu, RIGHT click it and you should have options then to create desktop icon/shortcut or even a Pin to taskbar, depending on Windows used.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Re: Windows e-mail desktop short cut

Thanks Andy. I will try it now and let you know. (I have looked in my re-cycle bin and it is not there).
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Andy, I have followed your instructions and when I right click on the windows (e-mail) icon via the start/all programs bit, I get these 3 prompts- (i) Read e-mail (ii) Internet properties (iii) remove from list. I looked into internet properties and there is nothing there to set up a desktop shortcut icon. Any more ideas?

Thanks
        Nat

Comment

What windows are you using?
          Andy
          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

Also - when you click on the icon for Windows Mail - is it accessing the emails through Internet Explorer or are you using Outlook or something?
            Andy
            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Andy, I am using Windows Vista 7 & when I access e-mails through windows mail I get my e-mails via Plusnet. For your info, I have got Plusnet broadband/e-mail etc and this is Web based. I can look at my e-mail by clicking into plusnet but then I have to use my username and password before I can access my e-mails. However, when I click on windows mail, I get my e-mails (which are on my plusnet) without any username and password.

I hope all this makes sense to you and thanks for your help.

Nat

Comment

OK - try this:

Click the start menu - go find the icon and again instead of left clicking to open it, right click - but this time do not let go - drag it then to a space on your desktop and then let go of the right click button - see if you get a "Copy" option or a "Create desktop icon" option now.

Apologies but Im now on Windows 8.whatever it is, and its been a while since using Windows 7/vista - and just checked my desktop machine and whilst thats on Windows 7/vista, I dont use Windows Mail on it so dont have the icon.

Andy.
                Last edited by Bhuna; 10-02-2015, 12:39.
                Andy
                Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Thanks very much Andy. It worked. I have now put the shortcut icon on my desk top.

Comment

[QUOTEI don't know what I did but I have contrived to lose my desktop icon showing "windows e-mail][/QUOTE]

I lost the recycle bin icon from the desktop once and it took ages to get it back - had to google it in the end

stan
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

I am glad to note that I am not the only one to do such things!! I still can't understand what I did.

Comment

It may not necessarily have been you (although probably was). It has been known sometimes that an update as removed an icon or two in the past.

I am annoyed at moment as wife has updated her ipad mini with iOS 8.1.2 and now can no longer print from Safari or any other app on it. The solution being to reset the router, device etc. However, resetting the router here causes no end of problems getting the Sonos, the two wifi networks I have running off of one router, the TiVo VM box, 2 kindles, 3 phones, 3 laptops, etc etc etc to work again properly. I cant see why its not picking up the printer when its connected to our networks perfectly fine and everything else can see the printer.

Arrgghhhh!!!! :)
                        Andy
                        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Andy,

I'm assuming you're having problems because somewhere you're using IP addresses? What I've done is to update DHCP in the router to assign an IP address to the device's MAC address - that way, I can reset the router, restore the settings from backup and everything just falls into place again.

Nat, glad you got your email icon back again.
                          Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock View Post
                            Andy,

I'm assuming you're having problems because somewhere you're using IP addresses? What I've done is to update DHCP in the router to assign an IP address to the device's MAC address - that way, I can reset the router, restore the settings from backup and everything just falls into place again.

Nat, glad you got your email icon back again.
                            Aye - looked at doing that - but never got round to setting it up as everything worked...it is something I am now seriously looking at again though LOL - its just finding the time. I have a mixture here of wired, wired (via powerlines), wi-fi 'g', wi-fi 'n', wi-fi guest...

I need to map it out again (lost my original plans), change it round, update the x-boxes (new (1) and old (3)), the computers (3 desktops), the laptops (4), Tivo, sonos speakers/router (5), network drives (2), routers (2), printer, phones (4), ipad (2), kindles (3), and who knows anything Ive forgotten.

LOL.
                            Andy
                            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Just to perhaps help other members I thought I might mention that I got a icon and prompt from MacFee security giving a link and asking me whether to "shred" it. I, without thinking,clicked "yes" and that is how my windows mail e-mail short cut icon disappeared!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X