Another computer advice thread, sorry!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another computer advice thread, sorry!

I have read through this thread started by Les several times now, and most of it is well over my head I thought of a home built PC, but looking at the components, although you all say it is easy as Lego, I still am not so sure! I have seen this Lenovo which seems a good price to me for a reasonably specced PC. But, at the risk of opening the flood gates, what do you think? I doubt I could home build for that price.

I am only really using it for LR and PS (planning on going CC route) and browsing. I have external storage both for backup and general storage. Again, for security I am planning on backing up using cloud storage. In the next wee while my plan is to put more effort into my photography and get into editing more, so I need to upgrade my aging laptop.

Any comments and advice welcome,

Cheers,
    Garry
    Last edited by digiman; 30-04-2015, 08:03.
    Garry Macdonald on Flickr
    Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Re: Another computer advice thread, sorry!

for £230 !! thats a throw away price ! not a bad spec either...

I know bugger all about PCs and just look at a few things the storage, memory & speed and if all those tick the boxes I want I couldn't care about the make ...

is it really worth the agro of building yourself when you can buy for that price
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

This is my thinking also Ian. Lenovo are quite reputable apparently! I am also looking into a new monitor too. I have a laptop at the moment, with a second monitor. I would really miss the two monitors, so would need to invest in an upgrade at some point.

Comment

Looks quite a good spec I would maybe consider upgrading the RAm from 4GB to say 8GB or higher if the motherboard will allow it
        1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
        Facebook
        www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by paulr5604 View Post
          Looks quite a good spec I would maybe consider upgrading the RAm from 4GB to say 8GB or higher if the motherboard will allow it
          good call with memory being cheap .....is anything expensive computer wise these days ..oh yeah Mac's LOL

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

My next upgrade will be the RAM in mine when my wife and kids stop spending my money lol
            1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
            Facebook
            www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by paulr5604 View Post
              My next upgrade will be the RAM in mine when my wife and kids stop spending my money lol
              ... I'm lucky business expense ;o)

Comment

As already said 4GB RAM isn't enough. RAM is cheap but check whether installing more won't violate their warranty. They do seem to offer a more expensive model with 8GB RAM which would be a better choice.

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                  As already said 4GB RAM isn't enough. RAM is cheap but check whether installing more won't violate their warranty. They do seem to offer a more expensive model with 8GB RAM which would be a better choice.

Cheers,
                  John
                  £50 for another 4meg ...oh thats just mean - I'd risk it and instal the extra myself ;o) ...well when I say myself, someone that knows ;o)

Comment

Thanks for the input all.

John, I did see this one for an extra 50 quid. Extra ram, different ptocessor and an hdmi. The processor looks to be slower though. I don't know how much of a difference this would make mind you.
                    Cheers,
                    Garry

Comment

The processor may be a bit slower but the extra RAM will more than compensate. £50 for 4GB is a bit steep but, in addition, you are getting HDMI and a second USB3 port so probably worth the extra.

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                        I'd be surprised if installing RAM would invalidate a warranty as by convention RAM is considered a user serviceable pert. Well except in the case of some manufacturers, cough apple cough.

When I used to modify my own kit, I tended to look at Kingston where the prices are good and the website has an excellent interface for finding the right RAM to buy.
                        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

You get what you pay for.

I have been doing "self-builds" for about 20 years.
                          If image processing then more memory is essential, 8GB or 12GB would be better.
                          It has an on-board graphics card which is not ideal.
                          This is not a bad processor, personally I would go with a 4th generation i5 or i7 Intel processor for graphics work with a dedicated graphics card.
                          Lenovo's reputation has not been good lately.

If it has a better spec than what you already have then go for it.
                          It's not bad for the money but you do get what you pay for.
                          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Also this would seem to have an integrated graphics card which uses shared memory (ram) you would be better looking for something with a dedicated graphics card to take advantage of it in Photoshop and now Lightroom 6.

just my thoughts
                            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

From what you're all saying, I need a min of 8gb ram and a dedicated graphics card. I know you get what you pay for, pay cheap pay twice and all that! Not really knowing what I'm looking at is tricky.

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                              You get what you pay for.

I have been doing "self-builds" for about 20 years.
                              If image processing then more memory is essential, 8GB or 12GB would be better.
                              It has an on-board graphics card which is not ideal.
                              This is not a bad processor, personally I would go with a 4th generation i5 or i7 Intel processor for graphics work with a dedicated graphics card.
                              Lenovo's reputation has not been good lately.

If it has a better spec than what you already have then go for it.
                              It's not bad for the money but you do get what you pay for.
                              In your experience Stephen, what sort of money are you talking for a home built machine? I'm wondering if I'm anywhere close tof affording one, so just roughly

Comment

Working...
                              X