Solid State Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solid State Storage

Back end of last year I bought my wife a new laptop - a 2012 model !3" MacBook pro - with DVD and a 512GB disk. I expected disk performance to be slow but when I helped her with something last weekend I was horrified at how slow it was. For those that use Macs, spinning beachballs of doom were the norm when she loaded apps for example.

So this Saturday it went into a local computer shop and I had the HDD replaced with a solid state drive (SSD) and the difference is like night and day. As an SSD user - I have an MBA - it's the norm to see apps load like this, so much so that I'd forgotten how slow are hard disk based machines. It was that much better that her first comment was "Wow" when she started PSE.

So if you can spare the cash and have a computer based on a spinning disk, an upgrade to an SSD is really a new lease of life.
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Re: Solid State Storage

My main PC, an i7 based machine with 12Gb of DDR3 RAM, began to slow down, especially the 'boot up', as more and more data was stored on the HDD.

Frustrated by this, I moved the large (2Tb) 'C' drive into the second 'bay', and installed a 500Gb SSD to become the new 'C' drive.

As you say Andy, the difference in the speed of accessing data, and 'boot up', is like 'night and day'.

The OS, programs, and current data are stored on the SSD, and all else on the HDD.

I still back up to external HDDs, but using the PC is no longer frustrating.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_S; 13-07-2015, 14:47.
    Dave

Comment

My son just bought himself a gaming rig and did the same - data on a pair of mirrored 1TB disks, OS and programs on am SSD. It seems SSD is becoming the way to go...
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I have been using an SSD for around 2-3 years with no problems and I also have around 6TB of HDD space and I do backups regularly.

The other thing I did when I installed the SSD was to move the user folders like documents etc to the HDD drive but I guess as the price of SSD's have dropped that there is no need to do this I only have a 128GB SSD as they were costly when I first bought it but my pc still boots up ready to use in around 20 secs
        Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
          The other thing I did when I installed the SSD was to move the user folders like documents etc to the HDD drive
          Still a wise thing to do, SSD drives have a finite, life wrt writing to them - typically about 74TB written (equates to about 40GB per day for 5 years). If you are regularly downloading large files form the internet, it can quickly eat into it.
          Regards
          Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
          7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
          24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Very interesting. Does anyone know if my late 2014 i5 could be updated to SSD? Is this something I can do myself or not?
            Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Is this a PC or Mac.

if it has an HDD then as long as you have a means of installing the OS on it then I dont see why not
              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Not a problem Alan, the SSD just replaces the hard-drive (HDD). The Power and Data connections are the same as used on the HDD.

So its pretty much 'plug & play'

The SSD is a much smaller format than the HDD, and you would need a carrier/adapter, on which you would mount the SSD, and that carrier/adapter will fit as per the HDD in the drive bay.

I moved my C drive (HDD) to the spare drive bay, and used Acronis True Image 2015 (my back-up software) to copy the necessary files from the HDD to the SSD (now the C drive).

Upgrade your PC with a high performance solid-state drive - you won't believe the improvement. We've got a huge range of SATA, NVMe, and external SSDs, from the best brands at the best prices. Shop now and save!

Rack mounting is an effective solution for those looking to integrate a hard drive into a desktop bay. Visit Ebuyer.com for a wide selection of these products.

Dave
                Last edited by Dave_S; 13-07-2015, 18:20.
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                  Very interesting. Does anyone know if my late 2014 i5 could be updated to SSD? Is this something I can do myself or not?
                  For a desktop it's generally trivial as long as you can reinstall the OS on it. With a mac that's also pretty easy. Windows you need installation media and a licence key. The second one you should be able to get from the PC, the former may not be so easy. Unless it's branded and comes with an option to build a set of recovery disks...

Comment

I think most branded PC's come with the option to create a set of Recovery Discs, although some folk foolishly don't bother to create them.

When they get a problem, they are 'stuffed'.

Dave
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 2Beers View Post
                      Is this a PC or Mac.

if it has an HDD then as long as you have a means of installing the OS on it then I dont see why not
                      Originally posted by Dave_S View Post
                      Not a problem Alan, the SSD just replaces the hard-drive (HDD). The Power and Data connections are the same as used on the HDD.

So its pretty much 'plug & play'

The SSD is a much smaller format than the HDD, and you would need a carrier/adapter, on which you would mount the SSD, and that carrier/adapter will fit as per the HDD in the drive bay.

I moved my C drive (HDD) to the spare drive bay, and used Acronis True Image 2015 (my back-up software) to copy the necessary files from the HDD to the SSD (now the C drive).

Upgrade your PC with a high performance solid-state drive - you won't believe the improvement. We've got a huge range of SATA, NVMe, and external SSDs, from the best brands at the best prices. Shop now and save!

Rack mounting is an effective solution for those looking to integrate a hard drive into a desktop bay. Visit Ebuyer.com for a wide selection of these products.

Dave
                      Mine is a Mac and of course all in built into the monitor. I've pulled apart many PC's but never a Mac
                      Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Ah, sorry Alan, I hadn't realised that you were using a Mac.

Dave
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X