Moving to new Hard Disc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to new Hard Disc...

My photos are held on a dedicated USB3 external drive and I use Lightroom to manage them.

When I got back from holiday this week I uploaded all my snaps and commenced processing them in Lightroom but soon got a message indicating that LR could not see the drive and checking confirmed the PC had lost contact even though it was still powered. EEK! Restarting and remaking the connections got it back working but it dropped out again later so I immediately placed an order for a new drive (Lacie d2).

It came today and I've installed it and copied my photographs folder from the suspect drive to the new one and a comparison of properties confirms all copied correctly. Now how do I direct LR to use the new drive and forget all about the old one?

I've added it to LR but haven't imported anything as I don't want to duplicate it all (if that would happen). Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    John

Re: Moving to new Hard Disc...

I can't say I'm surprised not to get a response to this as what I had done may have been out of the norm; I expect most would use Lightroom to 'move' the images which would then automatically update itself to the new location.

I wasn't happy to go this way with 800gb of my precious images as:
    a) The old would be deleted as it went and I liked the idea of using the old (albeit unreliable) drive as an additional backup.
    b) I'd read that some files or even folders can get lost using this method.

Lots of Googling found help on the LR 'move' method, relocating the library and linking to lost images but what was seemingly an afterthought on one page provided the answer:

"If you prefer to do so, you could move all the folders containing your photos outside Lightroom – this would be an easier process than doing it inside Lightroom if you want to retain the same overall folder structure. Then launch Lightroom and, in the Folders list, right click the old root folder and choose Update Folder Location and point to the new location for the files."

Of course I used 'copy' but it worked and I now have full access to my images on the new drive.

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Re: Moving to new Hard Disc...

I'm glad you got sorted out John I didn't see your original post until you posted the update.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
      Peter

Feel free to browse my
      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
      X