PC or MAC for photo editing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC or MAC for photo editing?

After having so many images printed, and the exposure being naf. I'm thinking of getting a PC or a MAC to replace my laptop for editing. I know there's the PC camp and the MAC camp, I'm only looking for your valuable points of view.

John

Re: PC or MAC for photo editing?

Either way John, it is better than a laptop.

I use both: a high spec PC and an iMac. As I got used to the Mac, I realised that most things run much quicker and more reliably on the Mac ............. especially windows!

The Mac is now my exclusive photo management and editing tool. I keep meaning to "spec up" a Mac Pro to the max, but then I think that the iMac does everything I want and more, so why bother?

Colin

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Either will do the job without a problem. I guess in the end it will depend on which system you're happiest with, so go have a play with Windows and Mac OS at PC World or somewhere like that, see which you like then see what you can afford.

Comment

Thanks for the replies Colin & Glenn, will what kind of graphics cards thats in the machine be important? or is the fact that the monitor is superior to a laptop.

John

Comment

I always used high end graphics cards for the PC, but the standard one in the higher end iMac's are very good.

Colin
          Colin

Comment

High end graphics card is not needed.

You only need one with good enough specs to drive the monitor - perhaps dual DVI monitors at 1920 x 1200.

The extra power in the GPU is for games players
            ef-r

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking about a mac, but you seem to get a lot more for your money going down the PC route. Decisions decisions lol.

John

Comment

I use what was a high end card in my PC but as Brian said that's not required as long as it will drive the monitor and screen res you want to.

Comment

Cheers Glenn, I think we posted at the same time there. Anyway Colin you mentioned running windows on a MAC, I didn't know that could be done.

John

Comment

Windows runs exceptionally well on a Mac. My friend runs it thorugh a program called Parallels and I seem to recall that Mac recommends "Boot Camp".

Colin
                    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                      Windows runs exceptionally well on a Mac. My friend runs it thorugh a program called Parallels and I seem to recall that Mac recommends "Boot Camp".

Colin
                      Cheers Colin, it's just that I'v never owned a mac, always been windows based PC's and laptops

Comment

I know the feeling.

It took me years to finally take the plunge and get a Mac and I wish I had the courage to do it a lot sooner.

I spoke to a tekkie friend for some Mac lessons and he laughed and said, "you won't need any". Just forget everything you have learnt about PC's and any time you want to do anything on a Mac, just think what would be the easiest, most user friendly way to do this, and invariably that will be the way.

I have been a Mac user for four years now and haven't had a single lesson on how to use it. Everything is so logical and instinctive and quick.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

I think I'v decided on a mac, albeit not a high spec one, wrong time of year. In fact the wife is saying why don't I wait till after xmas!! I mean how can I possibly wait till after xmas lol.

John

Comment

If you invest all that money in a Mac, why on earth would you want to run Windows??? Is the Apple hardware so much better, and OSX Snow Leopard worse than windows 7?
                            I use windows on a high end pc and have no problems with the editing software I use.. I sometines have the urge to buy a Macbook because they look so good and feel nice and Apple is cool.. but is the extra money really worth it??
                            EOS 1DX, EOS 5D mkiii, EOS 7D, EF 17-40mm f4 L USM, EF 24-70mm f2.8 L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8 L II IS USM, EF 50mm f1.2 L, EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro USM, Speedlite 580EX

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_rw View Post
                              If you invest all that money in a Mac, why on earth would you want to run Windows??? Is the Apple hardware so much better, and OSX Snow Leopard worse than windows 7?
                              I use windows on a high end pc and have no problems with the editing software I use.. I sometines have the urge to buy a Macbook because they look so good and feel nice and Apple is cool.. but is the extra money really worth it??
                              Hi Ian, I think you missunderstand, I wasn't saying I would want to run windows on a MAC, I just didn't know it could be done. It's just that I have heard that MAC's are good at image editing. But as always, I am open to recommendations for a good PC, if it means saving money, but not at the cost of quality.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X