Laptop connection problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop connection problem

I hope someone out there can help. When I try to connect my 450D with my laptop, which uses Windows XP. a message pops up to indicate new hardware has been found, but that's as far as it goes. It will not connect with EOS Utility to download the photos.
    I tried using a card reader, but that isn't recognised either.
    I should add that the camera has no problem connecting with my desktop computer.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Deva
    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Re: Laptop connection problem

Silly questions first...

Did you install the EOS Utility software before you connected the 450D for the first time?

Can you use ZoomBrowser to access the images?

In Windows Explorer - does the laptop recoginise the 450D as a 'drive' (remote chance of it doing so)?

I can't think why the laptop would have problems seeing a card-reader! Does the desktop recognise it OK?

I'll think of some more...
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

My simple question... does the USB port you are using on the laptop recognize any USB hardware....if not it may be a "gotcha" with the USB port itself.

David
      David

Comment

Yes, the EOS Utility was installed along with the other programmes on the disk. No, the computer doesn't show the camera as a hard drive. There are no pics on the laptop yet, but Zoombrowser does show up.
        I haven't tried any other USB connection as yet. I will try asap.
        Deva
        EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

I have tried to connect another USB device and after showing new hardware had been found another message comes up to tell me it is having a problem installing hardware which is what happened with the camera.
          I have no idea where to go from here!

Deva

Comment

OK just thinking aloud now.... is the lap top a new one or have you had it a couple of years??
            The reason I ask is because if other USB devices are not recognized by the USB port then I suspect that if the laptop is not a new one then the USB port will not accept USB 2 devices which may possibly be your problem.
            You may have to download USB2 drivers for XP

Have a look at this link which is for XP and USB problems..... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

David
            David

Comment

David
              I seem to have solved the problem. Having installed the programmes from the 450D disk I updated them from the Canon website. I looked through the various programmes within it and noticed it had installed a driver for the EOS 50D. I took a gamble and deleted this and, low and behold, everything worked! No idea why this should have been the culprit, but it seems it was.
              Many thanks for trying to help. Much appreciated.

Deva

Comment

Hi Deva,

Glad you got the problem fixed for the camera.

Will the card reader work??

Using the card reader means that the computer is pulling the info from the card as opposed to what I believe happens when you connect the camera.
                When downloading from the camera, I believe that the camera is using its power to push the images to the computer which means that you had better make sure your camera battery is fully charged before you start downloading images.

David
                David

Comment

David
                  I forgot to check on the card reader, but thanks for the advice about the battery. I would not have thought of that.

Deva

Comment

Working...
                  X