Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 550D Hotshoe cover problems

Hi

I have a hotshoe cover / protector that I wanted to use on my 550D, however when I put it into the hotshoe the camera wont use the inbuilt flash. The screen told me that I had a flash gun fitted to the camera.

The hotshoe protector is a flat (ish) plastic thing that slides onto the hotshoe. No part of it is metal so I thought it would be OK...
    I guess that the camera detects something in the hotshoe sliders and assumes it is a flash....

Am I right?
    How would I go about using the hotshoe to trigger external flashes for backlight or fill-in when I want the inbuilt flash to fire as well???

Can anyone help here?
    Anyone else tried using a hotshoe cover????

Thanks
    Gypo

Re: EOS 550D Hotshoe cover problems

I have a hot shoe cover on my new compact- A Cannon Sureshot SX30 IS. Gives me no trouble.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi Gypo, and welcome to the forum.

Surely it would be a simple task to remove it when you wanted to use your internal flash, then put it back on?

I've never seen a need to use a hot shoe cover before, so I'm not sure what advantage you get from it in the first place.

Hope others can help you a little more!

All the best, Mike.
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Hi Gypo, I had the same issue with my 7D, I just took the hotshoe cover off and all is well again.

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Thanks for the replies & the welcome Guys

I have used hotshoe covers for yonks, way back to the 70's after something got on to the shoe (small enough for me not to see it) and trashed the plastic shoe part of the flashgun when I fitted it. So because of that I have used them on my cameras ever since.

In response to the replies, it's not a problem when a flash is needed on the shoe becuase it's taken off, but when I have the cover on the camera it won't let me use the inbuilt flash..... :-(

I guess I'll just have to do without it and leave it on my Minolta.......

Thanks again guys...

Comment

The camera hotshoe has a built-in microswitch which is pressed down when any accessory is attached. This stops the built-in flash popping up when a Speedlite is attached. Unfortunately, the microswitch can't tell the difference between a Speedlite and a hot-shoe cover.
            Robert
            robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Hi Rob,

I did try to find out from the net if there was a switch or other type of sensor on the shoe (light or something) but couldn't find it.

This is more than not being able to use the hotshoe protector as I was thinking of using the inbuilt flash, putting a trigger for other flashes on the hotshoe to save the expense of yet another flash...
              This means I will have to rethink my lighting ideas.

It's good to know though, now I can work round it....

Thanks again
              Gypo

Comment

I am fairly sure there is a microswitch under one slide or the other. I'll look when I get home. If you can find it, you may be able to shave a small amount of the cover adjacent to it away.
                Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Hello Gypo

It looks like your quiery has been answered. Either remove a bit from the underside of the cover so that it doesn't trigger the microswitch, or remove the cover when you need to.

I don't have a built-in flash on my body, but I share you thoughts on the hotshoe cover. Canon used to supply them as standard and other manufacturers still do. It can only cost a couple of Yen each, so hardly a fortune to be saved by not having one. I suspect it is not supplied for the very reason that it does trip the microswitch.

I have bought an accessory one that also includes a round spirit level. Quite useful and also stops a build up of muck and dirt.

Colin
                  Colin

Comment

Here's the culprit on my 7D -

The red line points to a spring. There is one on each side of the hot shoe, but the microswitch is under the right side as viewed from the back. Might be worth checking by sliding a toothpick under which side to see which side inhibits the flash. You can then trim the cover so it does not make the switch.

'Ere - there's nothing like body flash and a macro lens to show the dirt.
                    Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Working...
                    X