Hong Kong Sellers on ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hong Kong Sellers on ebay

There are several Hong Kong based sellers on ebay offering huge savings on Canon cameras and lenses compared to UK prices. You can get a body plus IS zoom for less than the cost of body only in the UK. I have 2 concerns though.

1. How safe it is to purchase from Hong Kong on ebay? I am not over worried on this score as I have used ebay a lot without problem and the feedback system plus other shoppers reviews give you a lot of confidence on this.
    2. Will the camera you get be a UK model - will it be accepted by UK based Canon repairers should it need attention in the future. I have no idea what the answer to this is.

Anybody got any experience/thoughts on this?

Re: Hong Kong Sellers on ebay

Answers - 1) probably as safe as any other online transaction - though still an element of risk 2) answer here has to be no it won't be a UK model and you may well run into repair/warranty problems. Also bear in mind that HMRC etc are now clued up on this global market and you are highly likely to be hit with import duties/VAT etc with the camera not being released until these are paid. Normally these will bring the price close to or even above the UK market so it makes it much less attractive - personally with all this in mind I would never buy high value goods from HK, or anywhere else abroad for that matter, on eBay

Comment

Look at prices of ProCameraShop.
      Shipped from the UK.
      I bought a Cannon 60D body at very reasonable price.

Comment

Very helpful, thank you.

Comment

I have bought items -cameras and lenses plus others, and the sellers have been first class. No problem at all. Also the models I received are European/British ones. In most cases I did not have to pay any customs duties as many of them have contacts in UK to despatch the items to me. Don't know how they do it. also if you buy items via Ebay and pay by Paypal, you have the Paypal/ebay guarantees as well.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I have bought many smaller items off ebay from HK and China with no problems, but I dont think I'd risk buying a Camera or Lens though!
            Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by amphil007 View Post
              I have bought many smaller items off ebay from HK and China with no problems, but I dont think I'd risk buying a Camera or Lens though!
              I would never buy from Hong Kong via eBay.
              HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) would scare me to bits.

Comment

Try Ian Kerr in Scotland. He supplies Canon kit at great prices and comes highly recommended.

His eBay user name is kerso and his web-site is www.flashcamera.co.uk. Email address is kerso1123@msn.com.

You can buy directly or through eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by b2tuscan View Post
                  Try Ian Kerr in Scotland. He supplies Canon kit at great prices and comes highly recommended.

His eBay user name is kerso and his web-site is www.flashcamera.co.uk. Email address is kerso1123@msn.com.

You can buy directly or through eBay.
                  Very Highly thought by me and loads of others on the web. You will also receive a UK receipt and Warranty and no VAT or Import duty.
                  Bob Turner
                  Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Just bought a G12 off Kerso..brilliant service and it included an extra battery, a case and 8mb card

Comment

Another vote for Ian Kerr, top bloke and always up for a bit of a haggle! He lives in the US but ships stuff to his outlet in Scotland. Genuinely great bloke and some real savings to be made

I can also recommend 1st Cameras, a guy called Mick. Again very reasonable and they are one of the few dealers who sell Canon refurb'd kit at amazing prices and with full uk canon warranties. You need to phone to ask about the refurb'd stuff as its not on the site
                      Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
                        I've not been caught out yet, but as I say I only buy smaller (cheap) items anyway.....lets hope it stays that way, just ordered a softbox from China.
                        Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by amphil007 View Post
                          I've not been caught out yet, but as I say I only buy smaller (cheap) items anyway.....lets hope it stays that way, just ordered a softbox from China.
                          Worst case is you'd be hit with a hefty import tax bill which could of course mean it ends up costing you more than uk spec. The biggest issue for me is the lack of warranty, way too risky
                          Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
                            Just bought a G12 off Kerso..brilliant service and it included an extra battery, a case and 8mb card
                            I brought a couple of L lenses and a flash from this guy would give high recomedation for him

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
                              To be honest HMRC are not a problem, no need to be scared. I bought my new flash EX 430 II from Hongkong and had no problem from them even though they conteacted me and told me I needed to pay duty. Which was only £8.40 Still a masive saving of over £100.

Buying from hongkong + HMRC = MAssive savings and totally not scary. If that helps any.
                              [Canon 7D Mk II .. gripped] [Canon 500D .. gripped] [EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS USM] [EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM] [EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM] [EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM] [EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit] [Speedlite 430EX II] [Cokin P filter system ]

My Photos
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Life-...05270809634981
                              https://www.facebook.com/markkaye38/...2158274&type=3
                              @mkphotography7dii Instagram

Comment

Working...
                              X