Battery Discharge on flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Discharge on flights

My cameras travel with me on board plane as hand luggage, not in the hold. Why on a number of occasions have I found my EOS camera batteries flat on arrival? I have had this happen with several models over the years, but never with my compact cameras of any make.On a recent trip to France my EOS 600D battery was totally discharged both going out and coming back! Camera was switched off.

Re: Battery Discharge on flights

Hello Bogman and welcome to the Forum.

It's never happened to me, but I tend to keep my batteries out of the camera when travelling, as I tend to carry quite a few spares and the regulations require that they be packed separately in clear plastic bags.

Perhaps other members have some experience of this?

Regards

Colin
    Colin

Comment

This has not happened to me with my 450d (now sold), and the 600d & 60d

Thanks Colin for this advice.I never knew that one had to remove the batteries from the camera. Any reason why?
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Sorry this has never happened to me with my 50D and it has been on a lot of longhaul flights, nor have the spare batteries been flattened.

Comment

This has never happened to me with either my 5D or my 30D & I've taken them both to Thailand & back.

Tom

Comment

Australia and back a number of times, Tenerife and back, the US and back a number of times with a 350D and more recently with a 50D, battery in the camera, spare batteries in the baggage and no problems.

David
            David

Comment

Again me neither. 500D to mid east and back a few times and Europe.
              TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Coincidence. There is nothing in a luggage holder that will affect batteries.
                Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

I could possibly understand it in checked luggage as it gets a bit cold down there, but not in the cabin. Odd one.
                  Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Bogman View Post
                    My cameras travel with me on board plane as hand luggage, not in the hold. Why on a number of occasions have I found my EOS camera batteries flat on arrival? I have had this happen with several models over the years, but never with my compact cameras of any make.On a recent trip to France my EOS 600D battery was totally discharged both going out and coming back! Camera was switched off.
                    Are your batteries genuine Canon or some other make?
                    Just a thought.
                    John

Comment

I'll let you know in just over two weeks time as off to Kenya tomorrow night with 5D MkII + 2 Canon batteries that will be fully charged tomorrow morning.

Comment

Back from Kenya. Both batteries were charged the night before our flight out. It was 48 hours before the batteries were used...one showed 99% charged and the other showed 98%.

Very pleased with the life of the Canon batteries. They are expensive but guess peace of mind is not cheap!! I just could not risk non Canon ones out in the middle of the bush.

Comment

Back from Kenya. Both batteries were charged the night before our flight out. It was 48 hours before the batteries were used...one showed 99% charged and the other showed 98%.

Very pleased with the life of the Canon batteries. They are expensive but guess peace of mind is not cheap!! I just could not risk non Canon ones out in the middle of the bush.

Comment

Working...
                          X