Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How will Canon respond?

Originally posted by mwphoto View Post
    Sorry - should answer the direct question!! Noise will appear whether you shoot JPEG or RAW (obviously for a number of reasons RAW is best!) for the reasons outlined above - so continue to take RAW at the full capability of the 500D!
    Thanks for that ;)
    Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
    EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

Noise doesn't really relate to pixel size, just sensor size. Bigger sensors are better (they capture more photons from a scene). That is assuming you look at the image at a set size, it is not true if you look at pixels. It's a bit more complicated, of course, but shot noise is the big problem as that's down to the World and not the Electronics. (Photons appear randomly, so if the average gray level of something would mean you should get 1,000 photons per square um in your exposure period randomness means you might get a few more or less, which looks like noise. This means big pixels that collect more photons are better as +/- 5 on 30,000 is less noise than on 500. BUT for equal image sizes you get a bunch of small pixels in the same viewing area to average this out, so looks the same.)

I hope that made sense, wine and hand and all...

John

P.S. For the really boringly technical stuff this is good (well, unless it got changed since the last time I read it, which was a while back): http://theory.uchicago.edu/~ejm/pix/20d/tests/noise/

P.P.S. I did mention that isn't a fun read, didn't I. It is good though. Warning - I perhaps have a bit too much maths in my life to be a completely typical person to decide on what might be a "good" read for others... sorry if anyone falls asleep...
      Last edited by DrJon; 08-02-2012, 22:52. Reason: Made less pretentious

Comment

If you switch to sRAW you will get the same noise as if you use RAW....because the individual photosites are still the same size, generating the same level of noise per pixel. Its the light/photons entering the sensor that create so much reaction from the sensor that they drown the noise and its then not apparent in the image.

If you have a 20 ounce picture with 2 ounces of noise (RAW) then switching to a 10 ounce picture (sRAW) will result in only 1 ounce of noise.....but the noise per pixel the ratio is the same. So the final image will look just as noisy.

I dont think there is any 'crosstalk' noise between photosites due to proximity - that kind of electrical noise would transfer between the signal carrying conductors of which proximity would matter more than the photosites themselves.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Yep that's right Brian - it's the electrical connections rather that the photosites themselves that can generate noise - my badly worded explanation!!

Comment

Hi All,

I really don't think Canon have much to worry about. Have a smile at this guys comments - be warned some of his comments are very caustic!

"I'm sorry to hear that the truth insults you." - Edward Snowden is a FUCKING HERO

TTFN,
            Neil
            Neilly's Flickr Page
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
            Facebook
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

And fruity! On the face of it this does support some of my concerns but think I'll wait for one of the 'big boys' to do a full handson review with their own images before I start smirking - sorry Noink!

Comment

Working...
              X