Setting custom white balance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting custom white balance.

Just watched a u-tube video where the guy set the custom white balance by covering the lens with white tissue paper to get the right setting.
    It seemed simple, is it the easiest medium to use or have you any other tips?

Re: Setting custom white balance.

It is an easy method, but as far as I understand not very reliable..
    I rarely use custom white balance since I shoot raw and can correct it in post processing. So my first question would be: do you really need to?

If so, I use a grey card. There are many for sale at your local retailer in different shapes, sizes and material to fit your needs.
    Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
    EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

When processing portraits (taken in RAW) I use the white of the eye to get the correct white balance in DPP using the dropper tool
      ef-r

Comment

I use the white of the eye
        Mine are a bit bloodshot this morning so your whites would come out with a pink sheen!

Comment

On the rare occasions I've used custom white balance I've simply put a piece of A4 white paper on the ground, filled the frame with it and took a pic of it, then use that pic as the setting for custom WB, very easy and works a treat.
          PS the method above was taken from the 50D manual, and is also in the 5D-2 and 1D-3 manuals.
          Last edited by clikklik; 21-02-2012, 17:17.
          Ian,1D-3, 5D-2, 24-70L, 70-200L, 100-400L, ST-E2, 580-EX2, Elinchrom lights: http://www.flickr.com/photos/clik-klik/

Comment

Working...
          X