Thinking of upgrading from 500d to 7d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of upgrading from 500d to 7d

As the title says I'm thinking of upgrading from a 500d to 7d. I like the feel and the 8fps shooting, I also like the 1.6 crop as I get a bit more zoom without using my 2x extender.

Has anyone got any advice on the 7d? What I mean is will it live upto my high expectations?
    Canon 500d | 17-40 f4 L Lens | 70-200 f4 L Lens | 50mm 1.8 | 430exII | http://www.flickr.com/photos/stewartfinley/

Re: Thinking of upgrading from 500d to 7d

Many criticise the 7, but I love mine. It's a sophisticated piece of kit and I strongly recommend you read up on it and watch some videos that explain its focus system and other features. I have already posted links in other threads, but I'll try and get them and post here. Just do a search on my name to bring these up if you can't wait.

Not sure what your expectations are but it has met and surpassed my expectations in terms of build and IQ.

Graydon

rainforest photography, rain forest photography, tropical nature photography, Costa Rica photography, Costa Rica photos, nature photo tours, Costa Rica photo tours, nature photography tours, nature photography workshops, nature photography blog
    Last edited by jonesgj; 23-02-2012, 23:06. Reason: Added link
    Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
    EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Originally posted by jonesgj View Post
      Many criticise the 7, but I love mine. It's a sophisticated piece of kit and I strongly recommend you read up on it and watch some videos that explain its focus system and other features. I have already posted links in other threads, but I'll try and get them and post here. Just do a search on my name to bring these up if you can't wait.

Not sure what your expectations are but it has met and surpassed my expectations in terms of build and IQ.

Graydon
      Pretty much what he said. Great piece of kit although you may find you need to work at it to begin with. Well worth the effort once you get to understand it.
      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Love my 7D, (owned for 2 months) though have not used it for cricket which is my main interest. To be fair I didnt find it difficult to set up and even my son has taken to it (literally), like a duck to water. It does pay, like any piece of technology,to invest in a good manual and read up first.

Comment

I love my 7 D use it for sports action great bit of kit 8fps is ideal. I also agree with what Woolley says.
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
          Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
          Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Cheers guys, a weekend of reading ahead I think before any purchase can be made.
            Canon 500d | 17-40 f4 L Lens | 70-200 f4 L Lens | 50mm 1.8 | 430exII | http://www.flickr.com/photos/stewartfinley/

Comment

The only problem I had with mine was I took too long to decide to buy it, which means I missed out on a couple of months play!
              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

You wont go far wrong with a 7D, bigger, sturdier and more options and the only better cameras would be the 1 series
                I also like the 1.6 crop as I get a bit more zoom without using my 2x extender.
                both the 500D and 7D are 1.6 cropped sensors

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

What I meant stan was that I'm not really interested in a full frame 5dmk2 or 1 series because I'll loose range.

Comment

I am going against the grain here. I have nothing against the 7d and thought of buying one when I was in North America last year. But I opted for the 60d for the following reasons. It was lighter than the 7d, easy to use straight from the box, it had a vari angle LCD screen which I found was very useful, it was a semi professional camera- an upgrade from the Canon 50d,it was very well made, & it was cheaper. It would also process RAW images within the camera .I would therefore suggest that you read up on this model as well before you decide on your purchase.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      I am going against the grain here. I have nothing against the 7d and thought of buying one when I was in North America last year. But I opted for the 60d for the following reasons. It was lighter than the 7d, easy to use straight from the box, it had a vari angle LCD screen which I found was very useful, it was a semi professional camera- an upgrade from the Canon 50d,it was very well made, & it was cheaper. It would also process RAW images within the camera .I would therefore suggest that you read up on this model as well before you decide on your purchase.
                      I feel that comparing a 60D with a 7D is like comparing chalk and cheese. The vari angle screen on the 60D is only useful for video and macro.If you dont do these, its a waste of time. To be honest Ive never used the screen on any of my cameras except for deleting images. If you are into any fast moving sport like football/rugby/cricket/motor racing etc the 7D wins hands down.

Comment

I don't wish to get into unnecessary arguments re the 7d and 60d. I had the opportunity of using both the 7d and 60d last year for 1-2 hours at a stretch on trial whilst in N.America. I could have bought the 7d much cheaper over there- for the price of a 60d in UK. However, after trying out both cameras I opted for the 60d. This is of course MHO. So each one has to make his/her own choice. I would certainly encourage would be purchasers to try out both cameras before making a decision. Why not rent the cameras in UK for a day or two?
                        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Hi Stewart,

The thing is - what do you want from which ever camera you opt for? If its general photography then go for the 60D. If you want sport, aviation, fast moving stuff then go for the 7D. Other consideration might be weight - the 7D is a heavier camera mainly because of its alloy body. You mention fps - but does that really matter? I have a 1D iv & I think I've use the 10fps rate twice. I have my fps rate usually set to 4-5fps. Its a case of watch out for the gimmicks - work out what you want from a particular camera body. Also, get yourself down to your local camera shop & get a good feel for the actual camera bodies. I went with a couple of mates to both Jacobs & Jessops in Leicester several times last year until they were certain which camera they wanted - both went for the 7D. I have to admit I much prefer the feel of the 7D - it feels good & solid.

That's just my 2 pence worth.

TTFN,
                          Neil
                          Neilly's Flickr Page
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
                          Facebook
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

I would go with the 7D over a 60D all day long, having had a play with a friends 60D, I prefer the feel of the 7D due to it being made of metal and not plastic. And it has a higher spec. Just my opinion.

John

Comment

Can't comment on the 60D but can certainly do so on the 7D ..... some will already no my feelings, so let's pile straight in..........worst camera I ever owned, and I had 3 of them, the first 2 going back in the 30 day period, the final one I persevered with to my eternal regret. The IQ off the 40D was way better. Now into the 1D world so thank God the 7D is a distant memory, though I do know that many people absolutely love it - can't remember any camera having so divided opinion so suggest you try before you buy, it has been called a 'Marmite Camera'!

Comment

Working...
                              X