Connect 5D Mark II to PC and to iPad Mark 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connect 5D Mark II to PC and to iPad Mark 1

After donkeys years of shooting onto film and digital I want to be able to connect my 5D Mark II to a PC and to an iPad (Mark 1) to illustrate lectures on portraiture. Suddenly I need to know everything about how to do it and in double-quick time.

In the case of the PC, I want the actual file to be transferred onto the device, so it's not just a case of using Live View.
    With the iPad I'm expecting to use Live View, but I do want to record the files as usual on the CF card
    Both cables need to be 10 to 20 feet long.

So .....

What cables to I need in order to achieve each of these things? Ideally I'd like to be pointed at precise products so I can be sure to order the right things
    What software do I need on the PC? Somewhere I must have the CD that came with the camera so I'd rather use that than buy something new.
    Do I need any software (an App?) for the iPad?

I'm looking for a cheap and cheerful solution as this isn't something that I'm going to be doing every week (or even every month)

I'll be very grateful for any advice on this.

John

Re: Connect 5D Mark II to PC and to iPad Mark 1

Usb to the PC - runs the EOS utility - the one that was supplied with the camera
    ef-r

Comment

As Brian has said the EOS Utilty that came with the camera will allow you to tether the camera, use live view on the PC screen, make camera adjustments and take pictures if you so wish and you have a choice of where you save the images i.e. onto the PC, onto the CF card or both. You can use the Canon DPP software to adjust / manipulate the images on the PC as well if needed.

Get a long USB cable and you should be OK, if needs be get a USB cable coupler and link 2 together you should be OK up to your 10 ft but may be pushing it at 20ft.

Also have several camera batteries available as the EOS Utility in live view mode eats batteries as the camera battery drives the whole process. I find on a 50D I can use the camera in tethered mode for about 1hr before I need to change the battery that is with a 6ft USB link

Comment

if you go to http://www.tethertools.com you'll get all the info you need and reasonably priced cables, these will let you work tethered in excess of 20' as they have built in boosters so no loss of signal along the cable. Hope that helps.
        Ian,1D-3, 5D-2, 24-70L, 70-200L, 100-400L, ST-E2, 580-EX2, Elinchrom lights: http://www.flickr.com/photos/clik-klik/

Comment

Interesting cables there Click !

I did giggle at the JerkStoppers , at first I thought they may be a product specifically designed for posting on DPReview :P
          Then I realised they are a device designed to prevent a plug coming out in an accident and ensuring the connected device is dragged over ! eek !

Comment

Thanks for that guys. Software disc now found and installed.

Any thoughts re the iPad?

Comment

Thanks for that guys. Software disc now found and installed. Cable ordered.

Any thoughts re the iPad?

Comment

apple do a camera connection kit for the ipad, although the ipad can't cope with large files, so bang go's using RAW. I haven't used it myself, but here's a link http://www.cancomuk.com/product/6803...FQITfAod8HyiwQ hope that helps.

John

Comment

Working...
                X