Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EOS1000D - power problem

Hi all.

Only just joined the forum - out of need initially and I suspect this may not be a new query on this subject but I would dearly appreciate any help.

I have a Canon EOS1000D which I think is great. Only had it a few months but it now just powers up and works correctly, only immediately after re-inserting the battery. When it is then switched off, it will only work again by re-inserting the battery.
    When I try to disable the automatic sensor cleaner it will not let me do this.
    Just opening the battery door & closing it does not fix this.
    Re-inserting the memory card does not fix this.
    Just opening & closing the memory card door does not fix this.
    Removing card, battery, switching on and then re-inserting card & battery do not permanently fix this (see above re battery).
    Lens and body contacts have been cleaned.

Any idea how to resolve this and what costs my be involved (it is out of warranty-and I need a cost effective solution if that's possible)?

Kind regards,
    Richard.

Re: Canon EOS1000D - power problem

Make sure the battery and card door are closing correctly , then :
    Try pressing the "DISP." button .
    What charge does the battery show when it is on ?
    Take a few shots with flash and see if the battery charge drops .

See , my first port of call would be the battery might not be holding high enough voltage for the camera to perform it's initialising .
    So if the battery level drops then I would get a new battery and see how that goes .

If battery IS good then , when the camera is on , use the "reset to factory defaults" .
    Last edited by Foggy; 04-03-2012, 20:46.

Comment

Thanks Foggy, I'll try those suggestions out and let you know how I get on.

Richard.

Comment

Ah, no joy - any other thoughts anyone?

Comment

What did the battery meter read ?

Comment

when I had a EOS1000D I had a very similar problem, do you have a battery grip fitted to the camera in my case I had one and that was causing issues with the power shutting off and sometimes camera freezing up. took off grip and put the battery in the camera and the problem has ended.

Comment

Battery meter read as fully charged.

No battery grip attached to camera.

Comment

Rich I wouldn't mess about just send it to Canon and let lem sort it you never know they may do a goodwill repair if approached in the right manner.
                Col

Comment

This sounds like a firmware issue to me. Might be worth trying reloading it.
                  Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Working...
                  X