5D3 first update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5D3 first update

As mentioned in the other post I was going to have a quickplay to see how the camera handles. So far I have had about 1hr playing with itand must say I like the camera.

The one BIG issue as I see it is that neither Lightroom 4 nor Elements 10 would recognisethe new 5D3 RAW file format, nor would the older version of Canon’s DPP. To getto the images the only option I have is to either shoot in jpg or convert toTiff / jpg from the latest version of DPP. I can see this causing some bigwaves with pro users.

The following are 5 quick and varied samples from the imagesthat I shot this morning, all initially processed in DPP into Tiff and the loaded into Lightroom 4 (as much as an experiment rather than to edit the images)

Ospring Church shot with my 24-105 @ 55mm, 1/400, f8, ISO100, full frame as it came out of the camera

Old metal latch to the gate of the church, again full frame straight from the camera, 1/160, f16, ISO500 with my 100mm f2.8 LIS macro lens

Feather, this is about 1/3 of the frame, 1/160, f11, ISO1600 macro lens hand held

Knots, full frame macro lens, ISO100, 1/100, f11

I wondered how the camera would handle moving objects so I put my 400 f5.6 on and took some pictures of pigeons at the back of our local Morrison's shop. I have used Brian Squibb's 1D4 in the past and would say that the new 5D3 locks on every bit as fast as the 1D4 and holds the focus very well. I was happy with the 6 fps, this is a sample.

Pigeon, approx 1/3 frame 400 f5.6L, ISO 100, f7.1, 1/1250

I will now try some statick shots indoors to see how the IQ varies with the changing of ISO.

Re: 5D3 first update

First impression ... looking good

Comment

That's a great first play, varied and in different environments.

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
        [The one BIG issue as I see it is that neither Lightroom 4 nor Elements 10 would recognisethe new 5D3 RAW file format, nor would the older version of Canon’s DPP. To getto the images the only option I have is to either shoot in jpg or convert toTiff / jpg from the latest version of DPP. I can see this causing some bigwaves with pro users.
        Adobe Labs has made available Photoshop Camera Raw 6.7 as a 'release candidate'. This label indicates that the update is well tested, but would benefit from additional community testing.

Version 6.7 includes support for the EOS 1D X and 5D Mark III cameras.

It can be downloaded at:
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Thanks Robert I will try and get the download.

Comment

I did side by side shooting with the 7D and the 1D4 - the 7D has sluggish AF in comparison. If the 5DIII is as good as the 1D4 then that means the 7D is lagging behind the 5D3
            ef-r

Comment

Lucky man! And great results.
              Do feel free to comment on any of my contributions.
              EOS-500D. Flickr: _rutger_

Comment

Very nice looks like you have a winner.
                Col

Comment

Looks good in everyaspect so far. Now i have to start saving!!!!!
                  Raj
                  Flickr

Comment

Hi Muscat, first impressions look very promising. Looking forward to seeing more of your images in du course.
                    Martin
                    Canon 7D,EFS 15-85 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Comment

even more excited about getting mine now, hopefully tomorrow.......
                      thanks for posting

Comment

Working...
                      X