5D3 ISO test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5D3 ISO test

To see how well the 5D3 handles different ISO settings I wanted something that was in my control to test withso out came the 2 lights and one of my wife's flowers. The flower was held infont of a simple black card and the lights set up with one in front to the right and the other to the left and lighting the stem and leaves. Nothing special but I hope it proves a point.

I set the camera up on a tripod using my 24-105 lens @ 75mm, the camera was in AV mode and set at f11. The only thing I changed was the ISO running a series of shots from 100 through to the end of the standard ISO range at 25600.

There has been no alterations to the file content other than converting to jpg and in some cases cropping to show the amount of noise.

The following images have been uploaded via photobucket so have probably lost some of their clarity but to say I am impressed is an understatement.

Full frame at ISO800

Full frame at ISO 3200

Full frame at ISO 12800

Crop of the centre from the ISO 12800 image

Full frame at ISO 25600

Same crop as above but from the ISO 25600 image

This post doesn't do the images justice I am seeing the same level of noise in the 12800 image on the 5D3 as I see on my old 50D at 800.

Re: 5D3 ISO test

Now that is what I am looking forward to.

Regardless of all the other innovations, welcome though they are, high ISO performance is what would help my shooting and a 2 stop improvement would be quite amazing and I would still be happy with 1 stop. From what you are experiencing, 4 stops are acheivable.

I'll hope for 2 and be prepared to be pleasantly surprised.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

have you had a chance to play with the latest version of DPP yet, if so, are there any significant improvements?)
      My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Originally posted by oldcanon View Post
        have you had a chance to play with the latest version of DPP yet, if so, are there any significant improvements?)
        I have not really played with it other than to convert to tiff so that I could load the images into Lightroom. As I don't typically use DPP I really wouldn't know what changes have been made, it looked on the surface to be very similar to me but I am sure others who use it more than me would be in a better position to answer this.

Comment

WOW !

Comment

As you said impressive is understatement
            Raj
            Flickr

Comment

Gosh, that is impressive.
              Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
              Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

The ISO performance on these images is impressive, it looks like canon has discovered how to deal with low light, but nikon haven't caught up in canon's strength, video performance.

Comment

Very impressive Muscat, you must be really pleased with your new toy.
                  Martin
                  Canon 7D,EFS 15-85 IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

Comment

Ditto most of the above. - Looks pretty amazing! Bet you're really chuffed.

Comment

Thanks guys, not been able to play with the toy today but from what I have seen I am very impressed and happy with the camera, all that I need to do is learn to use it fully and improve enough to do it justice

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
                        Thanks guys, not been able to play with the toy today but from what I have seen I am very impressed and happy with the camera, all that I need to do is learn to use it fully and improve enough to do it justice
                        The bloody nerve of the man !
                        Talks of justice and owns a 5D3 !
                        ;)

Looking forward to seeing more pics mate :)

Comment

Absolutely superb, very impressive. I am going to sell my body to get a 5DIII !

(Could take a while though )
                          The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Working...
                          X