Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D battery grip problem?

Hi all.
    I took my 7D out at the weekend fitted for the first time with its (genuine) battery grip.
    At first the main control wheel (by the shutter button) only worked intermittently, then it packed up all together. Tried switching the camera on and off a couple of times, it came back, then packed up again.
    So, to dismiss the new item I took the grip off , put a battery in the camera and all is fine again! What I maybe should have tried first is removing one battery from the grip and trying that?
    Strange, will fit the grip later and see what occurs.

Re: 7D battery grip problem?

Hopefully, just a dirty connection.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Hi, You haven't mentioned the on/ off switch on the grip.
      I don't want to insult your intelligemce, I just mention it because I've forgot once or twice

Trev

Comment

It looks as though the grip may be faulty or as Colin says the possibility of a dirty connection. I sometimes loose power on my 7D with the grip connected, but this is always caused by the connecting wheel becoming loose and tightening it up always resolves the problem. Now as a matter of course I check the wheel from time to time.
        del

Comment

I'm not a fan of the battery grip, it's very poorly designed - after just 1 hours snapping with a gripped 7D + 70-200 2.8 I had a sore shoulder.
          I'm averagly fit and I'm used to carrying heavy kit and snapping for hours without too much pain
          It makes the camera position too high and reaching the joystick is impossible, and large wheel is awkward IMHO.

Maybe my technique is wrong ?

I have removed it and might sell, although knowing me I'll let it rot in a cupboard.

Trev

Comment

I've had 3rd party grips on my 550D, 7D and 5D2 and never had a problem with any of them. Between them I've saved enough compared to Canon prices to allow me to buy a 70-200 f4 L lens, and all the grips have come with 3rd party batteries that have also worked flawlessly. Check the contacts on the grip and make sure the button on the grip is turned to the on position and try it again. If it's still giving you trouble then return the grip and exchange it for another. I've always found the body balances better with a grip on with a long lens and have always found them comfortable. The only problem I've had is to fire a fewe shots by accident if I've left the grip turned on and caught the button.

Comment

Working...
            X