In camera or software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In camera or software

I have a 600D and have had a request to supply a 2-3mp photo for publishing. Does anybody know whether it's better to take the original photo with that resolution or shoot at best quality and reduce with software. Or doesn't it make any difference?

Re: In camera or software

Hello and welcome to the EOS Forum.

It doesn't really make any difference which way you do it to cover this brief. However:
    • Is the client likely to change their mind and want a larger file?
    • Is there any possibility that you may want to do something with the file?

That's why I would always shoot RAW at the highest quality and reduce the file size as necessary in post editing software.

Hope that helps.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Thanks Colin,

That's really useful, will shoot in RAW and get some practice on the software. You never know what the customer is going to throw at you next.

Comment

I agree with Colin: shoot in RAW. This gives you the most flexibility over post-processing should you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by nigels View Post
          shoot in RAW. This gives you the most flexibility over post-processing should you need it.
          regards
          Donald

Comment

If it's for something to be published in a book or magazine etc, then shoot RAW for better PP, if you are shooting something basic foir yourself then Jpeg will be sufficient. I shoot lots of aircraft photos at airshows, maybe 3000 in a weekend and I really cannot be bothered to shoot all in RAW and PP afterwards so most get took in Jpeg and only the planes that I really want the most get shot in RAW.

Comment

Working...
            X