Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon EOS 30D Exposure Issue - Camera Faulty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EOS 30D Exposure Issue - Camera Faulty?

When I tried using my 30D yesterday I discovered a problem I've not seen before, and am concerned something is not working properly.

(It is also quite possible I'm completely missing something though and there's nothing wrong with the camera at all, just me!)

I normally shoot in AV or TV mode.
    My understanding is that when I move the dial to set a shutter speed, say for example 1/60, it automatically sets the correct aperture, and the little indicator line on the exposure scale (from -2 to +2) points to zero in the middle.

When I try this now, the indicator line stays fixed at the marker before -1 (-1.3?). And if I then set a desired shutter speed (say 1/60), the resulting exposure comes out dark. It doesn't seem to move from that spot, no matter what shutter speed or aperture I set.

It does move however in full manual mode. This is currently the only way I'm able to record an accurate exposure.

Any thoughts?

Re: Canon EOS 30D Exposure Issue - Camera Faulty?

Any thoughts?
    When that happens, the first thing I'd check is whether the on/off switch is in the middle position .

Trev

Comment

Have you inadvertantly set the exposure compensation to -1 1/3 stops?

Comment

Originally posted by scarletti View Post
        Have you inadvertantly set the exposure compensation to -1 1/3 stops?

I was going to say check for that , i did it once with my 4OD.
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
        Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
        Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

It looks as if you have the exposure compensation set to a -value. Set the on/off switch to the top position, then turn the dial on the back either way - you should see the indicator line move accordingly. The shutter speed or aperture value will change depending which mode you are in, but when you change the value, the indicator line will stay where you set it.

You can lock the indicator line position (to avoid accidentally moving it) by moving the on/off switch back to the middle position.

Takes a bit of getting your head round, I was confused a number of times when I first got my 30D!

Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by Petros View Post
            It looks as if you have the exposure compensation set to a -value. Set the on/off switch to the top position, then turn the dial on the back either way - you should see the indicator line move accordingly. The shutter speed or aperture value will change depending which mode you are in, but when you change the value, the indicator line will stay where you set it.

You can lock the indicator line position (to avoid accidentally moving it) by moving the on/off switch back to the middle position.

Takes a bit of getting your head round, I was confused a number of times when I first got my 30D!

Peter.
            Thanks Peter - this was exactly it!!
            And I thought I was tech-savvy?!

Comment

Looking for a digital camera.

Comment

I feel that it is a technical problem and you should bring it to the nearest service center so that they can correct it in a professional manner. I am also looking for a digital camera for my upcoming occasion at home. Better if anyone give me suggestion.

Businesses For Sale

Comment

Working...
                X