Which New Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which New Body

I would appreciate the forums opinion on which body to purchase! during the few years I have been fumbling my way around I have found myself most interested in various fields of photography. i.e. sports action shots, inparticular windsurfing etc.
    Also Portraits and I would at some time try a few moody landscapes.
    Considering that a ff would be more suitable to some applications and possibly a crop to the other I would just be interested in eoples comments!!!
    Presently I have a (very) entry level body 1000d I have been looking at the mk2 5d body!!!!
    Alun

Re: Which New Body

I have recently purchasd a 1d mk iv and not looked back. Not full framed at 1.3 crop but who cares!

Comment

The 1D4 is the ideal compromise solution.

However the 7D is not shabby and as used bodies are now about £800 they are good value for money

This was taken yesterday

ef-r

Comment

I went the other way and bought one of the new 5d3 bodies, for me it covers everything I need, the images are I believe as good as the 1d4, the new auto focus is very good being very similar to that which will be available on the new 1dx when that is released but it only has as fast a high speed frame rate as the 1d4 or 7d, it only has 6 frames per second but to be honest that doesn't bother me.

If I was to be looking for a new body the 4 that I would consider would be the 7d, good crop frame camera and is great for wildlife and not too shabby at portraits and landscapes, then the 5d2 as a FF great for portraits and landscapes can be used for wildlife but not as good as the 7d for that. Then I would be in a toss up situation between the 1d4 and the 5d3, as I said I chose the 5d3 mainly because I didn't need the 12 frames per second and the 5d3 is physically smaller which suited me.

Comment

Here's a link to the current prices.

Trev

Comment

You didn't give a budget, but for what you are looking at I'd suggest looking at the 5DmkIII and the 7D. The burst rate and auto-focus on the 5DmkII aren't quite up to all the action shots you talk about (and I do have a 5DmkII).

The best choice partly depends on what lenses you have or can afford.

John

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
              You didn't give a budget, but for what you are looking at I'd suggest looking at the 5DmkIII and the 7D. The burst rate and auto-focus on the 5DmkII aren't quite up to all the action shots you talk about (and I do have a 5DmkII).

The best choice partly depends on what lenses you have or can afford.

John
              Hi John, I bought the 1000d with packaged lenses in 2009 and I have been considering different lenses for awhile, about 18mths ago a group of kind people tried re-arranging my facial features with their feet and a section of 6x2, I should be paid out by the criminal injury board soon, how much I'm uncertain! I have been leaning towards the 5dmk2 before canon announced the mk3 and while aware of it sports use limitations. I could well end up with both a crop and ff and understand that I would have to consider lenses for both.

Regarding action shots I'm not interested in cars bikes etc, just the fast moving water sports and lens reach here is a issue!
              Alun

Comment

I would look at the price a pre-own`d 5 D Mk II OR 7D are , all depends on your budget try Mifsuds they always have a good range of pre-ownd gear.
                Last edited by F.S.P.; 21-05-2012, 09:55.
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Thanks Trev, good to compare prices, but for purchase their£200 over top of others on the 5dmk 2 as an example
                  Alun

Comment

Sorry to hear about how you "earned" the money, I hope it's all a dim memory these days. If the choice is between 5DmkII and 7D I suspect the latter is the better choice, although if a 5DmkIII is within reach (and the price will come down at some point) then well worth considering. If you could get a deal on a used 1Dmk4 and didn't mind the weight that would probably be better than the 7D (the 1Dmk4 seems to have about one stop less noise) but not as good as the 5DmkIII for general use, IMHO.

Comment

I have a 7D and recently bought a used 5DII off EOS classifieds. 24-105 on 5D. 300 plus extenders and a 70-200 on the 7d. Covers most things. An option you may want to consider.

Comment

Where do I find Mifsuds pls?
                        Alun

Comment

Sorry Alun ment to post site http://www.mifsuds.com
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                          Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                          Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                            If you could get a deal on a used 1Dmk4 and didn't mind the weight that would probably be better than the 7D (the 1Dmk4 seems to have about one stop less noise) but not as good as the 5DmkIII for general use, IMHO.
                            1. 1D4 is about 2 stops less noise than the 7D

2. Not quite sure why you think the 5DIII would better for sports or general use than the 1D4 - the 1D4 does everything very well - the ultimate jack of all trades cameras
                            ef-r

Comment

To be honest, I think most of us would be more than happy with a 1D4 (I've used one and liked it) or 5D3 (fancy a play) ... or even a 1DX or 5D2 or 7D.

Comment

Working...
                              X