Canon 40D/back button focus when using grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 40D/back button focus when using grip

Setting bbf when using the grip controls in portrait orientation becomes a bit difficult unless one has an extraordinarily long thumb to reach the bbf button! Just wondered what settings others use.

Is that where swapping the focus lock and exposure lock buttons comes into play?

Peter

Re: Canon 40D/back button focus when using grip

It seems bizarre that they don't replicate all the buttons, My 40D is not gripped so I never knew that.
    Yes you're right the exposure lock button and be configured to act as a bbf.
    I shoot in manual so there is no need for exposure lock button anyway.

The only problem I can see is that on the 40D like some other cameras the exposure lock button becomes the FEL when the flashgun is mounted and turned on.
    Not a problem if no flashgun is not used or you don't want to use FEL
    Trev

Comment

Aha Trevor, thought I had this sussed till you raised the issue of using a flash gun - never considered that!

Peter

Comment

Aha Trevor, thought I had this sussed till you raised the issue of using a flash gun
        Peter, I’ve just tried it, and the back AF becomes the FEL :-)

That would never work for me because my thumb insticntively goes to the badk AF button. To change from the Back AF to the * depending on how the camera was orietated would be a bridge too far.

The 7D button replicates the buttons and you also get the Mfn button which I have as my FEL.
        That said I can't reach the joystick to quickly change focus point without the extra long thumb you mentioned :-)
        I have learned to go over the top on the camera to change this like I would if ther was no grip.
        With the 7D I have focus points registered, so the camera goes to the middle focus point in landscape and the top focus in portrait.

I think the new 5D mk3 grip has resolved this bad layout, LOL that's not much use to you or I though :-))

Trev

Comment

I have a 550D and it doesn't have a dedicated BBF button, so I have to change the custom settings to use the * button... BUT, this is quite convenient as the grip has the * button in exactly the same place, so no difference whether in 'normal' or portrait orientation!

I have been reading up on FEL in the latest magazine, so perhaps I'm about to shoot myself in the foot, as I'll need * to be FEL? Oh well!

All the best, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Mike A lot of the time FEL is not required as the default evaluative flash metering is adequate. I use a flashgun a fair bit and only use FEL in some situations, probably less than 10% of all my flash exposures.

So perhaps a red herring for many ?

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by mikep View Post
              I have a 550D and it doesn't have a dedicated BBF button, so I have to change the custom settings to use the * button... BUT, this is quite convenient as the grip has the * button in exactly the same place, so no difference whether in 'normal' or portrait orientation!

I have been reading up on FEL in the latest magazine, so perhaps I'm about to shoot myself in the foot, as I'll need * to be FEL? Oh well!

All the best, Mike.
              I had my 400D set up the same way. If I wanted FEL I set it on the flash rather than on the camera.

On the 7D The AF-On is focus and the shutter is exposure. The other buttons remain the same and are replicated on the grip.
              Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

If I wanted FEL I set it on the flash rather than on the camera.
                Woolley are you thinking of FEC ?

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                  Woolley are you thinking of FEC ?

Trev
                  Doh! I think is the phrase I'm looking for!
                  Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Ha ha Wooley, thats the worst of three letter abreviations! Come to think of it, the modern digital SLR with all its features and functions must come close to top to qualify for the prize for the most use of abbreviations - no wonder we get confused from time to time! (Is “DOH" one as well ; ) )

Comment

DOH = Date Of Hire (in our company) ... D'Oh! does that mean I joined up then.

Mind you cars are just as bad for all the TLA's (sorry Three Letter Acronyms) ...

Comment

Working...
                      X