Cleaning Focusing Screen 550D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Focusing Screen 550D

Just returned from holiday and been trying to clean my camera after it got some spots of dust etc on it. However I had noticed that I have a few spots on the focusing screen but they wont budge with compressed air can jetting. I then tried to remove with a little isopropyl and water mix (solution contained within the Jessops Deluxe cleaning kit). This may have been a bad move as I now have some smudge marks. Fortuanately they are not on he sensor so don't show up on the images themselves, however they are anoying now that I know they are there. Looking online for assistance it would appear that many 550D owners are having problems with regards this sort of issue. I'm thinking of taking the screen out as per the online guides for a closer look. Any points to watch out for in doing this? Also if the screen requires to be replaced where are these available from at how much? thanks in advance.

Re: Cleaning Focusing Screen 550D

I had a similar issue on a 50D. One small mark on the focusing screen that didn't affect any of the images but was just annoying every time I looked through the viewfinder.
    Let me tell you if you can live with the annoyance factor then I would. On the 50D the focusing screen is removable and I took mine out and tried to clean it with a blower and then a light brush. Big mistake. Made things 10x worse. These screens are very susceptible to markings and once on there I don't think you can remove them.
    You can buy replacement screens that come with a 'grabber' on Amazon for around £25. The grabber is key as it is a one-time use tool that allows you to remove and re-insert the screen at the edges. In my opinion you can't do it any other way without causing more damage.
    Alternatively you can send the camera into an authorised repair centre but then it's anyones guess what the cost will be.

Hope that helps

Comment

Working...
    X