File Naming Issue 550D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Naming Issue 550D

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong section for this post. I have noticed that the files downloaded from my 550D do not have the file prefix IMG_001.CR2 as I believed was the standard format. Instead they are named _MG_001.CR2. The images are saved directly to the memory card as expected. However when playing about with the EOS utility and there is no card in the camera I notice that the images are saved on the PC as IMG_001.CR2 when the card is installed in the camera they are not??? I'm confused, any ideas or suggestions? Regards

Re: File Naming Issue 550D

I think it is to differentiate between two file types.
    RAW (cr2) and jpg.
    If you save as jpg then you'll get IMG_001.jpg or RAW you get _MG_001.CR2.
    You can save every image in both formats at the same time (if chosen), both jpg and RAW so this differentiates both file format names IMG_001 and _MG_001.
    It is only the file name that is slightly different, what comes after the file name (.jpg or .cr2) is the file type.

Comment

After further investigation I have found the following which apparently affects many Canon DSLR's (page 96 of the 550D manual) If the image is captured with the color space set to Adobe RGB, the file
      name will start with “_MG_” (first character is an underscore).
      So now I know. Helps to read and fully retain all content of the manual.

Comment

Yes that one catches many a user out. Bit like why the ISO gets displayed as 1oo rather than 100 on the top panel.

Comment

Working...
        X