Need help with B+W ND110 and 50D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with B+W ND110 and 50D

I have a 50D and a B+W ND110. As you can see from the photo I have attached, I end up with a purple cast which covers around 3/4 of the image horizontally. I only tend to get this when I use an aperture smaller than f11 which being a landscape photographer I usually have to. I don't get this issue with my Canon 600D but it is awful for hot pixels and generally doesn't give results I'm happy with when I use it with the ND110. I have never heard of this before even though quite a few people use this filter. a couple of people have suggested that it may be that the shutter isn't working correctly and that it is casting a shadow when it is open. I thought this may have been correct as the cameras shutter has recently failed and I have just recieved it back from A.J.Johnson with a new shutter, however this hasn't helped. I have asked on other forums about this and I have never had any luck with figuring it out. Another point is that I have used a Lee Big Stopper on this camera and it did not give this effect, 2 minutes earlier I had used mine and it did have the problem. It would be great if anyone who owns these two pieces of kit would be able to let me know if they have experienced this. And also if anyone has ever used the ND110 and a 7D as I am considering selling both bodies and buying a &d but I don't want the same problem on that. Buying a Big stopper BTW is not an option so it will have to be the camera that goes if this can't be fixed.
    Attached Files

Re: Need help with B+W ND110 and 50D

[QUOTE]I have used a Lee Big Stopper on this camera and it did not give this effect/QUOTE]

From what you say suspicions would lie the filter itself being at fault. Can you run a test with another filter of the same make?

Something as fundamental as a shutter malfunction would tend to show up even without the filter.

Peter.

Comment

I don't have access to another filter the same however I have used it on 3 other cameras and don't get the same problem. EOS 600D, 1000D and Pentax ist dl. It also seems to link with aperture size.

Comment

I've got a B&W 10 stopper, but never used it on my 7D, I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back, coud you tell me what Fstop and exposure time so I can replicate similar conditions?
        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

It was f16 and 20 seconds. It was also quite overcast with a dark forground and very bright white sky.

Comment

Originally posted by dkane95 View Post
            It was f16 and 20 seconds. It was also quite overcast with a dark forground and very bright white sky.

I had a go at those settings ,( and others) and couldn't replicate the problem you have seen. ?
            Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
            Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Thanks for having a look. I'm actually in the garden right now and having tried with out the issue, I shine a torch through the viewfinder the second time and it's there. It would appear to be poorly sealed. I'm just trying to confirm this by pointing the viewfinder to the sun.

Comment

Well it's only taken me a year to figure it out, but I have finally realised that the problem is caused by light entering the viewfinder. Not the best quality control there Canon, I mean the two other cameras I've used are both low end.

I'm going to stick some plastic over the viewfinder and tread it on to part of the camera so it isnt attached but is there when I need it.

Comment

Well it's only taken me a year to figure it out, but I have finally realised that the problem is caused by light entering the viewfinder. Not the best quality control there Canon, I mean the two other cameras I've used are both low end.

I'm going to stick some plastic over the viewfinder and tread it on to part of the camera so it isnt attached but is there when I need it.
                  It would be better to use the eyepiece cover supplied by Canon. It's attached to the camera strap. See page 105 of the EOS 50D camera manual.

It is not a quality control issue. The exposure sensors are in the viewfinder area, so bright light entering the eyepiece will affect the exposure. This is true of any EOS model.
                  Robert
                  robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                    It would be better to use the eyepiece cover supplied by Canon. It's attached to the camera strap. See page 105 of the EOS 50D camera manual.

It is not a quality control issue. The exposure sensors are in the viewfinder area, so bright light entering the eyepiece will affect the exposure. This is true of any EOS model.

Even if it's in manual mode? My other cameras don't do it, I've been in situations where I've had to swap bodies because of this in order to take the same shot. Is it just that the newer ones have better technology on them to prevent this?

oh yeah I forgot about that piece.
                    Last edited by dkane95; 17-06-2012, 12:38. Reason: missed a bit

Comment

covered and uncovered
                      Attached Files

Comment

Even if it's in manual mode? My other cameras don't do it, I've been in situations where I've had to swap bodies because of this in order to take the same shot. Is it just that the newer ones have better technology on them to prevent this?
                        No, not in manual mode. My reply was more about reminding you of the eyepiece cover and explaining why Canon provide it.

I have not seen this effect before. I assume that it is the result of the long exposure and bright light entering the viewfinder. I'll do some tests later this week with a 50D and a strong ND filter to see if I can reproduce your result.

In the meantime I would recommend using the eyepiece cover whenever your eye is not at the viewfinder eyepiece when the shutter fires.
                        Robert
                        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                          No, not in manual mode. My reply was more about reminding you of the eyepiece cover and explaining why Canon provide it.

I have not seen this effect before. I assume that it is the result of the long exposure and bright light entering the viewfinder. I'll do some tests later this week with a 50D and a strong ND filter to see if I can reproduce your result.

In the meantime I would recommend using the eyepiece cover whenever your eye is not at the viewfinder eyepiece when the shutter fires.
                          Yeah, 140 seconds. The only reason I was confued is that light can enter my 600Ds viewfinder and it's fine.

Comment

That's interesting information about light entering through the viewfinder, it's not something I'd ever considered. Oddly enough, I just spotted it being mentioned on the Lee website.

• Always use the sturdiest tripod you can when making long exposures, and take care not to knock the camera or tripod. Cover your viewfinder before releasing the shutter to avoid light encroaching onto the sensor or film and causing flare.
                            Our Stopper filters are used for extending exposure time & making anything that is moving look blurred. Explore Big, Little & Super Stoppers from LEE.
                            Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
                            http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
                            https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Working...
                            X