7D built in flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D built in flash

I don't know if i am being stupid or not but when i tried to use my built in flash indoors while camera in TV mode it fires but not enough to light image 5 ft away but when on fully auto (green square) it lights perfectly.
    Am i doing something wrong or is the camera faulty
    help much appreciated
    Ive tried adjusting the flash compensation whilst in tv mode but this makes no difference
    Alan
    Last edited by Alan Campbell; 19-07-2012, 21:52.
    Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Re: 7D built in flash

I hate it when I can't remember why, but use it in Av mode and it should work OK.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Just tried av mode Colin but shutter speed is too slow for hand holding .
      is this right
      Alan
      Canon 7D...Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L is...Canon EF 300mm f4L is...Canon 1.4x extender MK ll...Canon 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 is usm...Canon 50mm f1.8 stm... speedlite 430 EX11...Canon EOS-M3...18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is stm...

Comment

Av measures the ambient light then adds a burst of flash to light the f/g resulting in a well exposed b/g and properly lit f/g
        This is probably why your shutter speed was long.
        I tend to use P if its just for a quick flash lit snap

Mike
        www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

Just read this and in support I got my 7D out and positioned 5 feet away, set the built-in flash and used Tv mode without a problem.
          I had to put the light on to be able to focus as it's now dark (23.10pm) but all fired nicely. Used a wine bottle as a subject.
          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thats exactly what i was trying to do Mike ,take a quick snap but the flash only works with enough power in GREEN SQUARE or CA mode.
            I was trying to take a quick snap without using my speedlite.
            I tried P but results were same as TV
            Alan

Comment

Stephen ive just ried a shot in tv and upped the iso speed to 400 and it seems ok,i thought if you used flash the iso did not matter.
              when in green square mode the s / speed was 60 ap 4.0 and iso 400 so i upped the iso to 400 in tv mode
              this photography lark can be confusing for the simplest of things
              Alan

Comment

Try this one:

Or the longer version:

Ah, nearly tomorrow, I should be in bed, good luck...
                Last edited by DrJon; 19-07-2012, 23:00.

Comment

Hi Alan,

What ISO are you using in TV, P etc ?

I think in green square mode the camera would increase the ISO in dark condtions, that could be the difference.

OOOPS sorry, I did not see earlier reply

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Campbell View Post
                    Stephen ive just ried a shot in tv and upped the iso speed to 400 and it seems ok,i thought if you used flash the iso did not matter.
                    when in green square mode the s / speed was 60 ap 4.0 and iso 400 so i upped the iso to 400 in tv mode
                    this photography lark can be confusing for the simplest of things
                    Alan
                    It's all a learning curve, sometimes the most simple things are difficult until you know how.
                    You won't get it wrong again, so it's on to the next problem and so on...
                    I never mentioned ISO as I thought that was straight-forward, to shoot at a lower ISO then you need a longer exposure in poor light to compensate and vise versa. I try to avoid ISO settings above 400 if possible and therefore I am looking forward to the new 7D firmware where you can limit the auto ISO.
                    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

thanks everyone for your input so late at night.
                      Its weird how simple things bother you and you cant sleep
                      ending up on forums late at night hoping for an answer

cheers Alan

Comment

Thanks Dr Jon
                        hope you had a good sleep

Alan

Comment

I use mine in manual mode and set 180th at F8. Seems to work OK. If thereis not enough power in the flash to give the correct exposure I increase the ISO.
                          Cheers

Oggie

Please feel free to critique or rework my pictures unless I ask otherwise.

EOS 1D MkIV EOS 7D 100-400 L, 300 F4 L, 24-105 L, EFS 15-85 IS USM

Oh Lord won't you buy me a 300mm F2.8L (or at a push, a 200-400 F4).

Comment

Originally posted by Oggie View Post
                            I use mine in manual mode and set 180th at F8. Seems to work OK. If thereis not enough power in the flash to give the correct exposure I increase the ISO.
                            This usually works for me too, with a little tweak of the settings.
                            Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                            EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Just seen comment from Hereford EOS about firmware update for 7 D I,m always sceptical about updates, working on the theory that if it's not broken don,t fix it will the update make a lot of difference?
                              Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery - Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Working...
                              X