Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hooking a DSLR up to a lesiure battery/portable battery for timelapse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hooking a DSLR up to a lesiure battery/portable battery for timelapse?

I'm looking for a solution to the battery issue when doing long timelapse videos such as 6-12 hours. I have read that you can use lesiure batteries for this but I know pretty much nothing about electricity and the various plugs and volts or whatever. So do lesiure batteries have the usual 3 pin socket? Whats the voltage compared to what the camera needs and if it's different what converter do I need? And also a dummy battery/ battery eliminator, could anyone point me to a site where I can get one of these which I could use for this please, I've looked and can't find any. And do these battery eliminators have a part on them to take the place of the battery door so the camera thinks the door is closed so will turn on?

Is there anything else I'm missing? I'm hoping to have this kit setup before the 25th of august.

Thanks, Damian

Re: Hooking a DSLR up to a lesiure battery/portable battery for timelapse?

Have a look at this website it may help http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/canonpowerpro.htm

Comment

Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for. I will certainly be buying one of those soon.

Comment

Will you need extra power? A timelapse video covering a period of 12 hours is just a series of still frames. If you shoot one frame per minute, you only need 720 exposures (12 hours x 60 minutes per hour). This is well within the capacity of most camera batteries, especially if you turn the 'Image Review' off (so that the LCD screen on the back of the camera does not display an image after each exposure).

Of course, much depends on the frequency of the shots and the length of each exposure. And I might have misunderstood what you want to do.
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I'll probably take 1 shot every 10 seconds for some things. Though they may not neccacerrily last 12 hours. It's work I'm getting paid for and if my batteries fail I'll miss it and that would be no good. I don't trust normal batteries to last long enough so I want something garrunteed to just keep going. I also don't want to risk moving the camera by swapping batteries around.

Comment

Working...
          X