Canon 5D mark III autofocus point illumination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must be stupid but where in the menu do you set the autofocus point illumination? I have looked trough the handbook without success... Driving me nuts!

Andy

Re: Canon 5D mark III autofocus point illumination

My sympathies Andy.

On the 1Dx it is tied in with the type of focussing you want, single point, various multipoints etc and then it reacts differently whether you are in A1 Servo, or single shot. Probably quite useful as an indication which mode you are in, but I would prefer a Custom Function where I can determine how I want it to react.

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Ok for example, I have set the camera only to show the cross type sensors or at times even fewer. All 61 points are to darn tidious to scroll trough for me, especially in point focus mode. But in a dark lit situation it is nearly impossible to see where to aim so to speak. Would love to set a custom function to highlight the dot or set of dots in the viewfinder.

Weird to say at least!

Are you happy with your 1Dx Colin? It doesn't really suit me or my budget but it has a certain magic glow over it :)

7D seems to be the weapon of choice in here :)
      Last edited by Nurcahyo; 14-09-2012, 16:02.

Comment

I,m quite happy with my 7D so far but if you look at the photos taken by Neilly on his 1Dx you can see what paying k5 gets you.
        Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery - Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Are you happy with your 1Dx Colin?
          Happy? That's rather an understatement.

I placed my deposit in October 2011, so it was a very long wait until 12th July 2012. In the meantime, I had three opportunities to use one for up an hour at a time, but couldn't use my CF card, or take shots away with me. I read every piece of info available from Canon, reviewers and CPS, so I was pretty much up to speed when it came into my grubby little mits.

Anticipation is a difficult thing and with all the hype, there was great potential to be disappointed. In practice, it was even better than I expected and every time I pick it up, I am just so confident it will do the business. Neil's shots have been mentioned and I would respond with: if you have the photographic skills to start with and you set the custom functions up well for your style of shooting, the 1Dx will very much reward those skills.

I have no doubt that Canon have it's replacement in the planning stage, or even on the drawing board, but I couldn't think of any significant improvement that could be made. I also smile at the thought of some very well known photographers that left the Canon fold for the Nikon camp amid much publicity and have converted back to a 1Dx ............. welcome back lads!

Colin
          Last edited by colin C; 14-09-2012, 19:56.
          Colin

Comment

Sounds good! Well as some people say, you ain't a real photographer if your camera don't come with a built in vertical grip :)

Before I got my 5DIII I was browsing for and testing 5DIII and 1DmkIV. To be honest, a generation of development is not to be underestimated. Can only imagine the 1Dx!

My choice was based on weight, accuracy for none sport (I suck at sport) And ISO performance.

However I have had a 7D and the custom function editing was really good in that camera! With the 5DmkIII they tried to simplyfi the menu, maby they did to much!

Did you got your camera early due to CPS?

I heard somewhere canon makes a totally new version every second time (sorry my English isn't good enough to describe what I want to say ;)
            Last edited by Nurcahyo; 14-09-2012, 20:09.

Comment

Did you got your camera early due to CPS?
              I didn't bother originally, because it made no difference previously with MK III and MK IV, but just before Christmas 2011 I got a call from my pro shop requesting my CPS number and level of membership. Apparently, accredited Olympics photographers were going to be allocated first, then Getty and a few famous named photographers and then it would be through a combination of date of order/deposit and CPS membership rating, Platinum, then Gold, then Silver. Once those orders were satisfied, then non CPS orders would be addressed.

I have Platinum membership and it probably gained me a month, so thank you CPS.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

Working...
              X