New boy, old problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New boy, old problem

Good afternoon all (or good afternoon to all in the UK)
    I've been an EOS user for some years, with an armoury of 400D and 7D, several lenses and a few other bits, but recently decided to treat myself to a 1D Mark 2 in an auction.
    Price was OK, no charger - so I obtained an AC adaptor and the camera works fine and does everything until I try to take a photograph (which is a reasonable demand, I suppose).
    Depending on which lens I have fitted, I get 'error 1' or 'error 99' - which appear to be about lens communication or poor electrical connection, etc. I've tried cleaning the contacts, etc, and it makes no difference.

I wondered if there is a factory reset button to set it all back to original, just in case some previous owner/user has set something up incorrectly.

Any advice, apart from take it for repair?

many thanks in advance

Re: New boy, old problem

Hi
    I don't know about the 1D but on my 7D there are to settings in the menu 1 says clear all camera settings the othe says clear all custom functions
    If your 1D has these perhaps give that a try or try a full factory reset which I think involves removing both batteries and leaving overnight. I,m sure someone else on here will correct me if I,m wrong. Good luck anyway.
    Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery - Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Thanks for that. At least I know the post went out there.
      I also bought a 7D a few months ago - excellent piece of machinery.
      Then I saw the Jacob's bankrupt auction and fancied this EOS 1D mark 2, body only - and a very flat battery. Chargers are a bit expensive, so I got a mains adaptor for £40 from eBay and all works well, even viewing pictured from the CF card - and the only thing it won't do is take pictures.
      Do I expect too much for 300 squid?

Comment

You "pays your money and you takes your chances" !
        This time (the 1D mk2), isn't sounding too hopefull !
        Personally, I would avoid this kind of purchase like the plague !
        I would have kept my £340, and added to it as and when I could, and
        then gone shopping at a reputable dealers'.
        Just my 2c worth
        Fred

Comment

I thought as I'm 60 next week - I'd get rid of some money because the kids have told me that if they inherit it, they'll blow it - bless 'em.
          Something else you may not do - this old 1D Mk2 sounded as if it was trying to open the shutter, so I removed the lens and held up the mirror, having tried the 'mirror lock up' and nothing happened.After 4 or 5 shutter releases, the mirror was snapped away from my finger end and now it all works.
          Just needed a good poke with a finger. Now then, does anyone want their 1Ds repairing? Nothing to it.
          I have noticed a lot of views taking place - good to be part of a large group - please don't try my technique, I've been specially trained.
          Last edited by barnsleylad2012; 14-09-2012, 21:31.

Comment

You must have magic fingers are you any good with washing machines ?

Chris
            Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery - Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Greetings and welcome barnsleylad.

I am pleased it all worked out for you and you have given me a few ideas to poke around with my EOS 1n film camera, that decided it didn't want to trip the shutter any more. I can hear that it tries to, but just doesn't seem to have enough "oomph" to finish the job. If it works I'll come back and thank you, if the mirror shreds my finger I'll say nowt.

I had a 1D MKII and loved it. My first digital 1 series body. If you scroll through the custom functions, you should find the "restore factory default" setting. From memory, it is next to the firmware update settings.

Colin
              Colin

Comment

I saw someone with one of these today - they still have that magical shutter sound you get from a 1 series in highspeed shooting mode :-)
                I hope you get much enjoyment out of your camera, well done on the self fix !

Are you saying you bought an AC charger for the battery or an AC adapter that goes in the camera ?

Trev

Comment

It's the DC adaptor (which fits in place of the battery) with an AC adaptor - 230V mains in, 13V DC out - this plugs into the DC adaptor I put in the camera.
                  Taken a few pictures tonight and all seems fine. Bit spotty and a few hairs on the sensor - after all, it was sitting on Jacob's bankrupt storeroom for a few weeks waiting to be picked up, no lens, no dustcap - so it's used to a bit of rough.
                  Relying on my new found EOS repair skills, I opened the mirror/sensor and gave a good Guinness breath blow at it. Spotless, or the Guinness makes it look spotless.
                  Hope it still works in the morning.
                  Thanks for all getting involved

Comment

Hi Colin
                    Film cameras - still like them - got a few in the loft, including a couple of Canons and a Rolleiflex, a Carl Zeiss Voigtlander, etc. Like to get back to that, one day.
                    Is your 1n battery healthy?
                    I had (still have) a carl Zeiss Icarex 35S, bought for £150 around 1974/5 ish - shutter gave in 15 years ago. I was told that it would need cleaning and remagnetising. Sounded expensive, so I moved to a Yashica FXD - still got that and it works.
                    Basic repair skills - keep counting the fingers. If you go on-line, you could Google for iFixit - on line repair manual for everything, including stripping down an iPhone. good luck

Comment

washing machines used to be easy, but went too high-tec.
                      Generally throw my appliances away and go to www.appliancesonline.com and get a good deal - good delivery, etc.
                      Latest one was a Beko - company working hard to repair their image after their fridge freezers started setting houses on fire last year.

Comment

"Good afternoon all (or good afternoon to all in the UK)"

As I´m not in the UK, maybe I shouldn't be saying hello lol

Anyways Hola from Spain, and welcome to the forum.

John

Comment

Welcome to the forum Barnsleylad2012
                          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X