Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7D Firmware 2.03 & Lens Peripheral Illumination issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D Firmware 2.03 & Lens Peripheral Illumination issue?

Just upgraded a perfectly working 7D from 1.2.5 -> 2.0.3

Followed instructions to the letter including downloading directly from Canon UK website, using a fully charged battery & freshly formatted CF Card.

Used EOS Utility on the Mac and the process went smoothly.

Removed the battery, refitted the battery, set the date/time, formatted the CF Card & even reset camera to defaults.

Set the date/time again! :)

Firmware now reporting 2.0.3 as expected.

Great stuff.

Decided to use EOS Utility to select my own lenses to download to the camera. The 10-22mm was the only one already selected as it was fitted to the camera.

Added the 50mm f/1.4 on its own before I added the rest of them.

Clicked OK, the blue OK button highlighted but then just sits there instead of returning to the smaller EOS Utility page giving me various options. The circular multi-colour pointer on the Mac is also just spinning around...program has hung.

Force exited EOS Utility by using Activity Monitor on the Mac, turned camera off, disconnected it, removed the battery, refitted the battery, reset the camera to defaults and tried again.

Fully repeatable.

Even just clicking on Peripheral Illum. Correct. and clicking the OK button without selecting any lenses has the same result.

I can however select Cancel instead of OK and the window closes and drops me back to the EOS Utility window.

Has anyone else managed to get the Lens Peripheral Illumination Corrections downloaded to the camera after updating?

I am (was) sing Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and EOS Utility 2.10.4 if that has any bearing...so checked & found a newer version of EOS Utility 2.11.4

Ah...found it I thought so I installed it.

Now when the 7D is connected bloody EOS Utility won't even open...I just get a requestor saying 'EOS Utility quit unexpectedly. Click Reopen to open the application again which of course only repeats the error...

When I turn the camera off EOS Utility opens quite happily. Turn the camera on causes it to open the error requestor again.

Seems I have two issues here;

1. After updating the 7D from 1.2.5 -> 2.0.3 Lens Peripheral Correction within EOS Utility v2.10.4 stopped working.

2. After updating EOS Utility from 2.10.4. -> 2.11.4 EOS Utility itself now will not even load!

Way to go Canon...what now?

I suppose I could install EOS Utility on a PC or under Fusion on the Mac running XP and see if that works as it should but I really shouldn't have to do that really if Canon were able to program & test their software first!

I have always hated Canon software and I have bitched about it here before but I feel better already just for venting! :)

Thanks & kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-
    Last edited by GlynH; 26-09-2012, 17:58.

Re: 7D Firmware 2.03 & Lens Peripheral Illumination issue?

We have had this same issue recently. (here)
    You need the latest EOS Utility update and all will be fine again.

(EOS Utility 2.11.4 Updater)
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks for the reply Stephen but as per my post above I am already on 2.11.4 - that is the version that will not even run with my 7D connected!

The earlier version 2.10.4 did at least run but would not update the lens data after updating the camera firmware to 2.0.3 and just hung.

Strange that with the earlier 7D firmware 1.2.5 earlier yesterday that same version 2.10.4 did upload the lens data?

Thanks & kind regards,
      -=Glyn=-

Comment

I have just connected my 7D.
        That's a strange one Glyn as I am also running Eos Utility 2.11.4 and all is well with my 7D (firmware 2.03).
        I have just checked "Lens Aberration Correction" under Shooting Menu and all the previously selected lenses are still there.
        Maybe a re-install of the updater might correct it for you.

flickr

Comment

Mac or PC Stephen?

I'm on a Mac..guessing you're on a PC then. That might be the difference?

Yeah...sure enough it looks like it is.

Canon broke the latest EU which won't now work under 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Apparently v2.11.0 and some earlier versions will work? Strange then that 2.10.4 broke after updating the camera from 1.2.5 -> 2.0.3

Damned if I do...damned if I don't!

Have to wait for Canon to release a 'fixed' version in October. Let's hope they don't break something else.

I may have said before that I have never been a fan of Canon software and this has done nothing to change my mind! ;^)

Grrrrrrrr...

Thanks & kind regards,
          -=Glyn=-
          Last edited by GlynH; 26-09-2012, 17:55.

Comment

Originally posted by GlynH View Post
            Mac or PC Stephen?
            I'm PC Glyn, is that politically correct?

flickr

Comment

Glyn

I downloaded 2.0.3 with no problems before the download my 100-400 was showing on the camera as available after the download checked again and it was now showing as unavailable, connected to EOS utility selected L lens only and pushed go, after what seemed a very long wait the lens aboration box on utility changed colour I disconnected the camera checked the menu and the lens had changed to available. The whole process took forever but it did work eventually. This may seem a silly question but are you allowing enough time for the information to transfer from the pc to the camera.

Chris
              Yesterday is history - Tomorrow is a mystery - Today is a gift that's why it's called the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
                I'm PC Glyn, is that politically correct?
                Must be what PC stands for Stephen!

Originally posted by deefadog View Post
                Glyn

I downloaded 2.0.3 with no problems before the download my 100-400 was showing on the camera as available after the download checked again and it was now showing as unavailable, connected to EOS utility selected L lens only and pushed go, after what seemed a very long wait the lens aboration box on utility changed colour I disconnected the camera checked the menu and the lens had changed to available. The whole process took forever but it did work eventually. This may seem a silly question but are you allowing enough time for the information to transfer from the pc to the camera.

Chris
                Thanks for the reply Chris. Well 20 minutes should be enough shouldn't it?
                Before the update the write time was literally seconds for a bunch of lenses...16 to be exact.

Anyway I installed the software from the original EOS Utility disc that came with the 7D and then updated all programs to the latest including EU v2.11.4 but under Fusion on the Mac running XP.

This time it writes the Lens Aberration Data to the 7D with no issues in a second or so!

So sorted then...but only by using a PC and not natively on the Mac.

Will have to wait for Canon to release a bug-fixed version of EU for the Mac but not holding my breath...anyway the urgency is off now as at least I can add/delete lens data for the time being!

Thanks & kind regards,
                -=Glyn=-

Comment

Have had the same problem on a Mac running Lion 10.7.5. EOS Utility simply closes down if I connect a camera (either 7D or 5D2, both running the latest firmware - so it's not a problem specifically associated with the latest firmware update for the 7D). A trawl of the Canon and Mac user forums reveals that the problem lies with the latest Apple security patch. So, not Canon's fault, but we're waiting on Canon to find a solution! I seldom use EOS Utility (and then only for updating things like the Peripheral Illumination Correction database on my cameras), so for me it's irritation value only (I do like it when things actually work ...).

Good for you for having found a way around it. Wish I hadn't chucked out my old PC with XP!

Comment

Yeah well here's the thing as I said in my first post.

I was quite happily using EOS Utility 2.10.4 under Mountain Lion and happily changing/adding/deleting Lens Peripheral Correction that same afternoon.

Then I updated the 7D from 1.2.5 -> 2.0.3 and the problem started.

EOS Utility 2.10.4 would still run at this stage but would hang on trying to update Lens Peripheral Correction Data. Everything else in EOS Utility appeared to work OK.

So how could that be a Mac fault...it was working fine before upgrading the 7D from 1.2.5 -> 20.3 under the same Mountain Lion!

Then I saw the newer EOS Utility 2.11.4 and thinking that would be the fix installed that on the Mac.

After that EOS Utility would not even open let alone hang on Lens Peripheral Correction...or Aberration as it seems to be called now.

Seems like the ball is firmly in the Canon camp to me based on my experience because Mac OSX stayed the same throughout. The only changes were the camera firmware update which prevented Lens Peripheral Correction data transfer and then EOS Utility which prevented EOS Utility itself from running.

To be honest I couldn't work without a PC so purchased VMWare Fusion to install a virtual PC on my Mac...now have XP & Win7 partitions on the Mac!

I can now for instance run Focal Pro under XP using Fusion on the Mac as I got fed up of waiting for the native Mac version as well as a fully working EOS Utility 2.11.4

Parallels does the same job I believe.

They both allow you to clone your old PC completely onto your Mac if you wish or set up many different Virtual PC's on the same machine.

I would go so far as to say that I have never had an easier time installing Windows on any machine and I have done hundreds of installs over the years!

So wish no more dd...try Fusion or Parallels...I believe like most Mac software you can download a 30-day free trial to see how you get on.

Kind regards,
                    -=Glyn=-

Comment

Ah yes, that's the bit I forgot to mention: I also updated my EOS Utility to 2.11.4. That's when it all went pear-shaped, but in the meantime the latest security patch came through for OSX 10.7 (and similar, no doubt, for Mountain Lion). Well, I'm just going to sit back and wait until someone fixes it.

Comment

Working...
                      X