Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 7D Default picture styles

Morning....

I have just looked at the "picture styles" settings in the menu of my EOS 7D, now running the latest firmware...

Under both the "neutral" and "faithful" options all figures are set to "zero" is this correct? all other options have a selection of numbers..

I would have thought if they were both "zero" the effect would be the same?

In your menu, can you tell me what the "defaults" are please?

Thanks

Stuart
    Stuart Tunstall
    York - UK

- Canon EOS 7D - Tamron 18 - 270mm f3.5 - 6.3 Di II VC - Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - Canon Speedlight 580EX II - Canon Timer Remote Control TC 80N3 - Giottos GTMTL9361B with MH5001 Head - Lowpro 300AW Backpack - Photoshop CC - Lightroom CC - Aurora HDR 2018 - Photolemur 3 - Plus a few other bits -

Re: EOS 7D Default picture styles

That's always been case I think. I've checked my 7D (2.0.3) and that's the default settings.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply :)

It just looked odd.. you would think that if they are set the same they would do the same....

Stu
      Stuart Tunstall
      York - UK

- Canon EOS 7D - Tamron 18 - 270mm f3.5 - 6.3 Di II VC - Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM - Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM - Canon Speedlight 580EX II - Canon Timer Remote Control TC 80N3 - Giottos GTMTL9361B with MH5001 Head - Lowpro 300AW Backpack - Photoshop CC - Lightroom CC - Aurora HDR 2018 - Photolemur 3 - Plus a few other bits -

Comment

Neutral and Faithful Picture Styles are not the same. Picture Style is more than just the four parameters. To quote from an article on the subject in EOS magazine April-June 2011, page 58:

"Also saved within the style are settings for selective colour values. In simple terms, this means that you can select a specific range of colours and give them different values. Blues can be made darker or red richer. This is what makes each Picture Style different.

"The aim of the neutral Picture Style is to retain highlight detail and avoid over-saturated hues. It does this by decreasing contrast and colour saturation so that it can record more detail in any bright highlights and deeply saturated colours.

"The faithful Picture Style is designed to reproduce colours the same way as the human eye sees them. It is also useful for product photography or copying photos or documents where colour accuracy is important."

You can create your own Picture Styles with the 'Picture Style Editor' software on the CD supplied with your camera.
        Robert
        robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
          You can create your own Picture Styles with the 'Picture Style Editor' software on the CD supplied with your camera.
          Or download extra ones from Canon (http://web.canon.jp/imaging/pictures...ile/index.html).

Don't forget you can apply Pictures Styles 'after the fact' with DPP.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
            Don't forget you can apply Pictures Styles 'after the fact' with DPP.
            Or just set your own 'standard' in-camera under one of the 3 (?) custom-styles for whatever mode you generally use; and then tidy-up in DPP if required after the event.
            Cheers;
            Lee
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
            All fair comment & critique will always be welcomed !
            5D3, 80D, 40D (IR), G3X
            17-40 f/4, 24-105 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, 100 f/2.8 Macro, Sigma 150-600 Sport

Comment

Or shoot in RAW and sort it out in DPP or whatever you use to "process" your RAW images

David
              David

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                Or shoot in RAW and sort it out in DPP or whatever you use to "process" your RAW images

David
                Agreed
                Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Thank you all for the replies :) It just looked odd when I viewed them.. I will have a look at the magazine Robert showed above :)

Stuart
                  Stuart Tunstall
                  York - UK

Comment

Working...
                  X