5D III Metering Issue - Help Wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5D III Metering Issue - Help Wanted!

Having owned a 1Ds II, for 6 years or so, which probably didn't have the most advanced metering system - but which proved very reliable - I was hoping for great things from the metering system in my new 5D III.

But I have been a bit disappointed so far. As I undertand it, the metering is tied (or related to) the AF points used to focus the image. This is giving me some exposure issues, especially in high contrast situations. If I focus on an area of shade, then the rest of the image is "burning out", and focusing on bright areas is causing general under-exposure.

I have also noticed that my skies are burning out a lot too, if the AF point is on land, and the reverse is true (under-exposure of foreground if the foucs point is on the sy).

What is puzzling me most is: surely matching the exposure to te AF point is not that different from what the spot meter would be doing, and if so, what's the point of the "evaluative" setting? I get the feeling that the very sophisticated metering system in the camera is not being utlised fully if tied to the AF.

Does anyone know how to overcome this issue. is there an AF setting that may give a better generalised exposure? Should I use the Auto Lighting Optimizer for better overall reults (I turned it off). If so, what is the best setting for it.

All suggestions are welcome, as I'm now becoming slightly concerned that I did not use my money wisely on this camera.

I look forward to changing that viewpoint.

Stephen
    Adare Images Website

The Snappy Snapper Blog

Re: 5D III Metering Issue - Help Wanted!

I have not used the 5d3..........yet. I do use the 5d2. I would start by using centre weighted metering and see how you get on. Switching on the lighting optimizer it does make a difference especially on those very contrasty days but it will not help where the sky is brighter than foreground here I would suggest a grad ND filter to help out. There are other techniques but rule of thumb when shooting black and white expose for the shadows and let highlights look after themselves. When shooting colour expose for the highlights and let the shadows look after themselves. Just general rules for film, nowadays you switch on the HDR facility on the camera and fire away. I think coupling the AF to metering is to get best possible exposure on the point of interest.
    Hope this helps a little and I am not teaching my Grannie to suck eggs.
    Cheers
    Treff
    Last edited by Treff; 12-10-2012, 19:12.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Treff.

I have to say it was a lot more polite than the very rude "you must be stupid and/or a total beginner" type of response I got from the same question on another Canon forum.

I am actually a very experienced (nearly 30 years) professional photographer with some major editorial and advertising clients; and I teach for the world's largest online photography course (I have over 600 personal students - some of whom write to tell me I know what I'm talking about ). So, I'm OK with the general stuff - but I was wondering if there was something specific I was doing wrong with the 5D III.

The suggestion about centre weighted metering is interesting, as I usually avoid it, thinking it's a bit dated - and a waste of the very sophisticated pattern / evaluative system. But I'll give it a go.

Stephen
      Adare Images Website

The Snappy Snapper Blog

Comment

Hi Stephen, Hope it was a little helpful. I am also a retired snapper a bit long in the tooth for all this sophisticated machinery haha. I always start off with the simple things then work on up to general confusion then I stick a finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing. Be interested to know what you think of the 5D3. Hoping it will be my next purchase but I am not sure there is enough improvement over the 5d2 to make things worth it. The AF on the 5D2 is quite hit and miss with less contrasty subjects but like all things you get used to the little quirks and give it a damn good cussing when a good pic is missed.
        I worked in the newspaper industry myself, man and boy so pretty used to rude people most of those were head hitors haha.
        Remember Confucious says that the only stupid question is the one that is never asked................. or was it wax on, wax off (sorry gettin old)
        Cheers
        Treff
        Last edited by Treff; 12-10-2012, 20:53.

Comment

Could this quote from another forum be of any use?

{I just checked the manual. On page 171 it says that AE lock is applied at the selected AF point (when AF point is manually selected) only in evaluative metering mode.

In spot, partial and center-weighted metering modes, AE lock is applied at the center point.

This supports what you said: if I want to use spot metering in the way I was hoping, I need to meter off of the subject using the center-point, and hit AE lock, and then recompose and shoot.

Not sure that's much easier than shooting in manual, but I guess it depends on the conditions. }

Papa.

Comment

Working...
          X