• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS-M First Impressions

Here is a review of the EOS-M

Re: EOS-M First Impressions

Thanks Tom (All well post-Sandy?).

I think I'm a bit disappointed with what I've read about the EOS-M and 6D ... happen we were geared up for great things. Or 'appen it a conspiracy to make me buy a 5D3

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post

I think I'm a bit disappointed with what I've read about the EOS-M and 6D ... happen we were geared up for great things. Or 'appen it a conspiracy to make me buy a 5D3
      Your thoughts are my thoughts. Things are well, just cleaning up the mess she left behind her. We were fortunate as we maintained power & internet service throughout the storm, a lot of people, including my daughter are still w/o power. Thanks for asking.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
        ...Things are well, just cleaning up the mess she left behind her.
        Tom,

I haven't read the review yet, but I will. However, the above text got me thinking. All of the UK News reports that I heard, referred to Sandy in the masculine gender. I seem to remember, from my time working in Louisiana, that hurricanes are named alternatively Masculine/Feminine. I looked it up and found that you, and I, are correct - Hurricanes
        Bob Turner
        Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

I've often wondered why they name such vicious quirks of nature capable of destruction on a large scale with such soft, feminine sounding names?

I mean Hurricane Beryl, Wilma or even Katrina (and the Waves?) hardly instil fear and have you quaking in your boots at the sound of their name do they?

It's a bit like calling your Pit Bull Chantel, Fifi or Sweet Cheeks...

I would have thought giving them names like Hurricane Tyson, Hurricane Nasty B'Stard or Hurricane Hades would be more appropriate!

Seriously though until being caught in extreme weather conditions in the US many years ago it was difficult to comprehend the magnitude of the event and I wish anyone & everyone good luck in dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Nancy.

-=Glyn=-

Comment

Originally posted by GlynH View Post
            I've often wondered why they name such vicious quirks of nature capable of destruction on a large scale with such soft, feminine sounding names?....
            Are you married Glyn?
            Bob Turner
            Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Bawbee View Post
              Are you married Glyn?
              LOL

Comment

No. Why? You asking?

<cough>

So...EOS-M...anyone else have any first impressions?

-=Glyn=-

Comment

So I got a call from our local camera shop telling me that they got in only 1 EOS M and if I wanted to look at it to come on over. Sooo I did.

My 1st impression was that it was a solidly built camera. Fit very comfortably in my hand and seemed very well balanced. It is a quality built unit. SO we put the battery in to check out the AF on the unit to see if it is a bad as the reviewers said it is. Well for the little I played with it, the AF seemed to work fine. Granted it is not as fast as my 5D MKII, however it was quicker than the S95. Granted you could not used this for sports or birds, but for portraits, landscape and events, it seems that it would be a capable camera.

So, as I was looking at it, my wife suggested that I should get it for my Birthday Gift, so I did. Hopefully I can give you a better review when I got some more time to play with it.

Tom

Comment

Well done that man ... look forward to the review.

Guess you are busy wondering who will be your president (than again ) ... headlines news this side of the pond !!!

Comment

Tom,

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on shutter-lag, if there is any or if it's noticeable?
                      Bob Turner
                      Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

Tom, Apologies: didn't think to ask after you post Sandy. I'm glad you are okay.
                        Graydon
                        Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                        EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post

Go with it - buy a 5Diii, you won't be disappointed!!!
                          Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Some few thoughts about the EOS M-

Physically:
                            THe Camera is a very well constructed camera. It has a nice feel to it when it is in your hand and IMO conveys a quality built camera. The Size of the camera is slightly larger then my wife's Canon S95 as well a slightly thicker. IMO it has a much better feel in the hand than the S95 does.

On the top of the camera there is only the shutter button, on/off button and a dial to select Auto, Creative, or Video mode. THe back of the camera is the LCD Screen which is big and bright. There is a record button at the top right hand corner, then just below that is the wheel, the 3 buttons surrounding the wheel. A Menu Button, Review Button and the Info Button. That's it. Very simple, looks almost like the back of the S95.

THe Camera is fully Automatic, just like a point and shot. In the creative mode there is:

Creative Auto: Lets the camera choose.
                            Portrait: Blurs the background and makes the skin tone & hair softer.
                            Landscape: that give a large DOF to ensure fore & Backgrounds are in focus, w/vivd blues and greens and sharpening for crisp images.
                            Close-up: for close up shooting
                            Sports: for moving subjects.
                            Night Portrait: for use w/Tripod & Speedlite.
                            Handheld Night Scene: This mode takes 4 continuous shots then combines them to produce a single bright image.
                            HDR Backlight Control: Takes 3 shots: 1 of shadows, mid tone, highlights then combines them to produce 1 image.

There is also:
                            M: Manual
                            AV: Aperture Priority
                            TV: Shutter Priority
                            P: Program Mode.

To access the controls:
                            The top left of the LCD is the [Shooting Mode]
                            Top Right of the LCD is the [Quick Control]
                            Bottom Left of the LCD [Screen Focus on/off] (Touch the screen to focus and release the shutter button)
                            Bottom Right of the LCD [Magnified view]

Now when you are in the

M Mode: on the bottom of the screen you get the shutter speed, aperture setting, Exposure Level indicator. and ISO Setting.
                            AV Mode: You don't see the Shutter Speed
                            TV Mode: You don't see the Aperture Setting

You just touch the indicator you want to change and it pops up on the scene so you can make your change by moving your finger on the screen. Now I wasn't sure if I would like this or not, but I was amazed of how quick and easy it is to change camera settings. IMO, quicker than my 5D.

Now for the Focusing:

There are 3 modes of focusing:

Face Tracking
                            FlexiZone Multi AF ( ) up to 31 AF points divided into 9 Zones
                            Flexizone Single AF

Now for the brief testing, on Face tracking and Multi AF settings, there seems that the lens hunts for a focus point before locking in, which gives a slight delay. The delay is depended upon the available Ambient lighting. The brighter, the quicker. Now if you use it for fast sports or birds in light, it may cause you a problem. However I haven't tested it in Servo mode to see if it is any faster. On the Single AF mode, the focusing was much quicker. Quicker than the S95 but not as quick as the 5D.

So that is a quick review of it so far. I'll add more as I play with it some more. So far, I'm pretty happy with the camera and can see it being used as a supplement to the 5D when I'm out shooting an event.

Tom

Comment

So you'll be buying the wife the EF Lens adapter for Christmas then

Anyway thanks for your initial thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                              X