Auto ISO In low light shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto ISO In low light shooting

I was sceptical about this feature, now I’m not so sure.
    Who uses it and what are the pros and cons, does it work differently in different modes AV, TV, or M ??

I think one of the pros is that the camera will choose 400 when I’ve decided to use a blanket ISO of 800
    Any thoughts, or is this a stupid question ?

Millie

Re: Auto ISO In low light shooting

I use auto ISO a lot for sport and for low light shooting. Its handy when players run in and out of the shadow of a stand. You don’t caught with too slow a shutter speed or underexposure. I find it works best for me in Tv mode. With Av the ISO doesn’t change until your shutter speed is below 30 secs. Its a pity you can’t set a shutter speed below which the ISO should change.

Comment

Its a pity you can’t set a shutter speed below which the ISO should change.
      Yes EMS, auto with pre defined user parameters would be cool.

With Av the ISO doesn’t change until your shutter speed is below 30 secs
      Is there a chart were you can get more info like that, how it works in all 3 main modes.
      Millie

Comment

Just found this article

Expert news, reviews and videos of the latest digital cameras, lenses, accessories, and phones. Get answers to your questions in our photography forums.

I’ll have to try it out when I have time.

Comment

I’ll have to try it out when I have time.
          I've had a play - my intitial cautious enthusiasm is draining away again.

Great in the scenario you mentioned though.
          Millie

Comment

found this post on another forum

Having looked this up in the manual (50D) I will have a go using CA to see what happens

I have had my 50d since July having moved from my EOS film cameras. I just transferred my use of the camera from one to the other. Thanks to this stream, I have started to read the manual in detail and am amazed what can be done.

Definitely will be using some of the more advanced features - the question is - will I remember it in the heat of the moment :) I think I will start with some of the more automatic settings, such as auto ISO, CA and UserDef and gradually get into it.

Thanks for raising the topic - it has moved me out of my comfort zone.
            Last edited by briansquibb; 27-11-2009, 07:24.
            ef-r

Comment

Glad to report that the 50d does auto ISO as expected. I tried it over the weekend the the wind was moving the clouds about alot and therefore I was in a continuously changing light situation. So I shot using Av to get the right depth of field and the ISO was moving around nicely

Only drawback is that is always selects iso 400 when the external flash is on, this is a bit limiting

Brian
              ef-r

Comment

Working...
              X