7D any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7D any good?

Okay, I know the first line of the answer is going to be 'it depends what you're using it for' but is the 7D any good?

Re: 7D any good?

Depends really on how much importance you place on the 18 mp. If you are prepared to accept that it does not give the cropping capability you would expect, it a very very good camera. Takes a bit of time to master so be prepared to be disappointed at your early efforts.

It needs good quality lenses.

Lets hope that sparks off a few more replies for you - and that you can tell us why you want one.

Here is a quick review : http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2009/...t-impressions/
    Last edited by Ron Lander; 29-11-2009, 12:03. Reason: hyperlink added
    Ron

www.severnvalephoto.co.uk

Cameras: 5D, 7D, 1DmkIV, G1X.
    Lenses: 16-35 F2.8 L, 24-105 F4 LIS, 70-300 LIS, 180 L macro, 200 F2.8 L, 400 F2.8 LIS mkII.

Comment

I want one because I think I should be getting better images from my 40D for airshows, events, day to day stuff, landscapes etc (not portraits, weddings...). What about it doesnt give the cropping capability you would accept... is the 5D2 as a FF the better option?

Comment

Originally posted by NickJ View Post
        I want one because I think I should be getting better images from my 40D for airshows, events, day to day stuff, landscapes etc (not portraits, weddings...).
        What makes you think you will get better images from a 7D than you can get from a 40D? I use my 40D for all the scenarios you note with superb results (IMO!)!
        I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
        Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

A friend purchased the 7D last week and we had a chance to try it out this weekend along with my 5D2 and G11.
          IMHO, whilst its a good camera, with excellent AF, AE, 8fps and good IQ, I am seriously left wondering just how much better it could have been with fewer mp.
          Now, a 5D3 (whenever, Canon decide to release) with all the new technology seen in the 7D would be a cracking camera as long as Canon maintain the same 21mp.
          BTW, the the G11 is a superb little camera.
          Last edited by lalgulab786; 30-11-2009, 11:17.

Comment

Hey Lalgulab, you got it spot on there, I guess even 14 mp would be OK. Only problem Canon would not then sell so many 1D mk iv's.

Have to say I'm very happy with the 7D though!
            Ron

www.severnvalephoto.co.uk

Cameras: 5D, 7D, 1DmkIV, G1X.
            Lenses: 16-35 F2.8 L, 24-105 F4 LIS, 70-300 LIS, 180 L macro, 200 F2.8 L, 400 F2.8 LIS mkII.

Comment

I shoot quite a lot of sport. Mostly equine and some rugby. Portraits and Landscapes. I only upgraded/changed from my 40D's because I wanted better low light performance. I chose the 7D over the 5D mk2 because of the frame rate in high speed mode. given your scenario if I changed at all, considering how good the 40D is. I'd choose the 5D mk2. Obviously this could present problems if you have a stack of EF-S glass....you pays yer money....

Comment

My question is not “Is the 7D any good” – However I do have a bunch of assumptions I would like to perform a reality test on:
                1st Assumption: At its lowest common dominator photography is all about format
                2nd Assumption: That with its high frame rate the 7D is probably an outstanding sports/action camera
                3rd Assumption: The 7D would be the “perfect” – or how about a “more perfect” sports/action camera if it was full frame – In other words a more expensive version of the 5D MkII
                4th & Final Assumption: All D-Shooters would be better off if they were full frame.

Comment

I agree with the 4th assumption above - I don't believe a full frame sensor costs more than smaller sensor - cost per sensor is all about volume once the engineering is done - so if all cameras (big enough bodies to take it) had FF we would all get a better deal.

Technology is being metered out to secure income for manufacturers.

Personally I'd prefer to spend more on a solid quality FF with all the current advances built in knowing that I'll not want to replace it for 5 years - but thats a different business model.

hopefully this situation will change with the 'short life throw away' approach being challenged from an environmental viewpoint. Legislation exists (in Europe) to penalize manufacturers who are now required to take end of life product back and carry the cost of disposal (WEEE regulations).

By the way I have a 50D and G10 with intention to replace in 2 yrs. I'm only buying glass with FF capability.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                    I don't believe a full frame sensor costs more than smaller sensor - cost per sensor is all about volume once the engineering is done
                    According to a Canon white paper, CMOS sensors are manufactured on thin disks of silicon called 'wafers'. Each disk can be used to make about 200 APS-C sensors, but only about 20 full-frame sensors. This suggests that there will always be a price differential between the two sizes.
                    Robert
                    robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
                      According to a Canon white paper, CMOS sensors are manufactured on thin disks of silicon called 'wafers'. Each disk can be used to make about 200 APS-C sensors, but only about 20 full-frame sensors. This suggests that there will always be a price differential between the two sizes.
                      Why is this?- F/F is not ten times bigger than APS-C. The latter is 5/8ths as big as F/F
                      By my calculations, if you get 200 APS-C sensors from one "wafer" you should get 125 full frame sensors?--- Multiply 125 by 1.6 or 200 by 5/8.- Or am I missing something?

Comment

I believe its down to wastage and inspection.

Despite the fact that the wafers are manufactured in full clean room conditions, some minute particles within the air settle on the wafer and contaminate it. That means that sensors containing any particles are rejected. The larger the sensor, the more likely it is to contain a particle. Equally, on final electrical inspection, the larger sensor contains more electrical circuits, so there is again more likelyhood of a failure.

Logic dictates that a ratio of 200:20 seems rather high, but if it's in The Canon White Paper, I wouldn't argue against it.

Colin
                        Colin

Comment

Fair enough; Is that why F/F is so much more expensive?- I'd rather have F/F than movie-mode- ( which I don't want! )

Comment

It's not the only reason - but a fair chunk of it...

Another large part of the added expense is literally the bigger body & support systems required to house the larger sensor...
                            I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Easing back towards the original question a little, does anyone else have any hands on experience with a 7D.
                              Is the new focusing a real and significant improvement over 40 & 50D on moving subjects such as birds in flight, for example? What is printed IQ like at everyday ISO settings at A3 size?
                              Thanks folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X