5D2 or 5D3 for Aurora pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off to Finland next month, cross country skiing. Good chance of northern lights - and they turn the village lights off to help. Plan to hire a 24 f1.4 lens, as per kind advice received, Jim.
    Does anyone have thoughts on whether a 5D3 having an appreciable benefit over my 5D2? Giving urgent thought to selling the 5D2 but wavering. Have seen lots of fab aurora shots on web taken with 5D2. Assuming 5 s would be better than taking my 1D4.
    Taking a tripod.

Re: 5D2 or 5D3 for Aurora pics

Hi Hugh,
    I'd take the 5Diii over the 5Dii, any day. Far better in low light condition - better higher ISO setting. Also a full frame camera (5Diii) would be better for landscape, than a cropped sensor camera (1D iv). The 5D iii will perform well with the action stuff, although the 1D iv might just have the edge. Overall, no contest - 5Diii (or better still a 1DX ). Look forward to seeing your successes in Finland

TTFN,
    Neil

TTFN,
    Neil
    Neilly's Flickr Page
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/60833437@N08/
    Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Neil-...67642190098333

Comment

2nd that!

5D iii for the low light/high ISO capability.

Enjoy the trip
      The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Teaching granny to suck eggs - Don't forget the spare charged battery and something to keep the kit in out of the cold. When I was in Lapland (something I do once a year ) it dropped to a cool -40C ... that's quite nippy for the human body and the reindeer. But no aurora ... just a jet black sky, a clear very silky milky way and a wonderful display of stellar objects. Glad I packed the binoculars.

oh take plenty of cards.

Sorry to state the obvious.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. This sounds costly.. Good thought about binoculars.

Comment

Hi Hugh,
            Really hope the aurora turns on a good display for you - would love to see your pics if things turn out ok !
            James
            James Boardman Woodend
            www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Common sense prevailed. Keeping the 5D2 for now. I don't think I can really justify the extra cost of a 5D3. May not even see the aurora..
              I know it would be a bit better, but - for example - I could get a Sigma 35 1.4 to take instead of hiring a 24L 1.4. (but not sure if that would be quite wide enough) AND have lots left over towards the next trip. We'll see.

Comment

rent a 5d3 ?

Comment

Originally posted by colintf View Post
                  rent a 5d3 ?
                  Good thought, but 5d2 will have to do.

Comment

OK. Went and bought a 5D3.
                    Got a Sigma 35 1.4 to go with it. Hope it will be wide enough.

Comment

Just reflecting on the 35 1.4. Will it be wide enough -full frame? Have I done the right thing. Dither, dither...

Comment

Should have gone for the canon 17-40mm F4 £595

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCurley View Post
                          Should have gone for the canon 17-40mm F4 £595
                          Thanks, but I think a faster lens is needed here. I have a 24-205 f4.

Comment

Working...
                          X