EOS 60D Too much for a novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EOS 60D Too much for a novice

Thanks again for all your input guys, think i may go for the 60d with a 15-85 lense, just have to see if ther are any deals on at the moment.
    Cheers, Jim.

Comment

Hi Jim,

looks like you mayhave made up your mind - I'd add a vote for the 15-85. It was the first real decent lens that I had when starting out and simply eclipsed everything I had used before. Colours and sharpness are brilliant and really noticeable from one of the kit standard zooms. Can't stress again the advice from the others here - the lens is THE most important bit.

Cheers, H

Comment

Originally posted by newtodslr View Post
        Thanks again for all your input guys, think i may go for the 60d with a 15-85 lense, just have to see if ther are any deals on at the moment.
        Cheers, Jim.
        Hi Jim
        Starting from scratch, google Michael Andrew 60D video, it will take you through every stage step by step, cost about 25 quid and well worth it. You should find extracts on You Tube, I purchased the 7D version and far better than any manual.
        Graham
        Canon 100D, 18-135 IS STM, 50 1.8 STM, 220EX Flash.

Comment

Having used the 60D for a year or so, I can confirm that it is a brilliant camera. It is as complicated as you want it to be. I shoot RAW which has the benefit of making the camera set up easy and post processing slightly more difficult. Conversely, the camera will produce excellent jpgs and there are good guides available to help with the set up to get the results that you want. As far as lenses are concerned - knowing what I know now - I would always go for EF (full-frame lenses) as they fit all types of Canon digital cameras. An EFS lens will not fit the 1D or 5D. That said, my trusty EFS 17 -85 lens has produced some very sharp photos over the past 5 years.

Comment

And here I am, months later. You probably have your 60D already. No doubt, it is treating you well. I've had one since the day they came out and I still love it.

I bought the 18-135mm lens with it. It's OK, but I hardly ever use it. I think about 90% of my photos (and videos) are shot with the 50mm f1.8 prime. So, if you can, get it. It's inexpensive. You won't regret it.

Now I'm looking for a nice wide L-zoom. And after that a nice L-tele. Only then, will I consider upgrading to another body.
            myTube
            Twitter: @VilliAsgeirsson
            Canon EOS 60D - 50mm f1.8 - 50mm f1.4 - 18-135mm f4-5.6 - 100mm f2.8 macro - Speedlite 480EX - Canon EOS 500D

Comment

Now I'm looking for a nice wide L-zoom. And after that a nice L-tele. Only then, will I consider upgrading to another body.
              17 - 40mm f4 L and a 70 - 200mm f4 L should fit the bill quite nicely.
              Colin

Comment

Unless you are looking at going full frame when you upgrade I'd suggest the 17-40 or more expensive 16-35 are not really wide on a crop sensor body. Better a 15-85 or 10-20 efs lens. The latter whilst not as long as your 18-135 is wider and better optically. If you want really wide the 10-20 fits the bill.
                TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

When I sell my 600D later today i'll be ordering a 60D from Digital Rev. If you are looking for a 60D with kit lens then look here

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/ca...-ef/OTc1MQ_A_A -- £539 delivered with no import duty.

I've always ordered my kit from DR and never got any issues. Ordered a Tamron 70-300 VC lens last week and came through in 3 days.

Kit lens is good don't get me wrong, however see if you really want to see what the 60D can do, you need to ditch it for a better lens. The clarity and closeness to what your eye saw is night and day between the kit lens and a better upgrade.

If you're going to continually use the kit lens, then there's no difference in image quality between all the canon crops.
                  1100D, 550D, 600D, 60D, 7D all use the same sensors i've been told, and the SL1, 650D, 700D use a marginally better one. (i think)

What I'm trying to say is that the bodies aim is to capture the light coming down the tube at the front, so if the light is rubbish coming in it's not going to produce a good image. The kit lens is good to start, its way better than a point and shoot, however, body choice should be based on ergonomics alone, hence why I'm upgrading to a 60D. I need a larger body and I really hate the look of body grips on rebel series cameras.

I upgraded to a tamron telephoto zoom and I've had my eyes opened to the difference better lenses can make.

So buy a body that's comfortable for you to use.
                  With that 60D on DR going for £469 body only, thats going to leave you a good chunk for a good lens, and many suggestions for that are around the forum based on what you might want to shoot.

You could even get a 24-105 f4L on Digital Rev for £469 and you have L glass and a 60D for under a grand.

Worth thinking about. DR gets a bad rep and I have no idea why :)
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

DR gets a bad rep and I have no idea why :)
                    They have a good reputation on this Forum and although I haven't used them, I have many friends that have and are very satisfied customers.
                    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                      They have a good reputation on this Forum and although I haven't used them, I have many friends that have and are very satisfied customers.
                      I think in general people are wary, however, I am on the site all the site everyday because it's like FB for photographers too on the social side.

:)
                      Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                      www.campsie.photography

Comment

Just to add my views.

I'm using a 60D and originally considered the 650D but on handling both cameras a found the 650D too small.

Would echo other comments too that 60D is good choice and some good quality lenses are certainly worth considering.
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Working...
                        X