Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 20D Origins/price?

Hi all,

Just purchased what I consider to be a real bargain EOS 20D body in totally mint condition, boxed, software, leads, everything - just like new! What a lovely camera too.

Got me to wondering, what year was the 20D introduced? I presume it succeeded the 10D but have no idea when they were current. Also, what sort of price were they new? It's a very well built camera and can only presume it wasn't a budget price model.

Appreciate any information on these questions you can muster.

Dave

Re: EOS 20D Origins/price?

Hello Dave

The 20D was introduced in 2004 - 2006 and RRP prices as follows:

Body only £1,269.99

Body + EFS 18 - 55mm F3.5-5.6 £1,349.99

Body + EFS 17 - 85mm F4-5.6 IS USM £1,749.99

Colin
    Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
      Hello Dave

The 20D was introduced in 2004 - 2006 and RRP prices as follows:

Body only £1,269.99

Body + EFS 18 - 55mm F3.5-5.6 £1,349.99

Body + EFS 17 - 85mm F4-5.6 IS USM £1,749.99

Colin
      Goodness me! I really am surpised by your obviously knowledgable answer Colin - I was way out on both year of introduction (I thought much earlier, perhaps 2002) and the price. Wow! Was I a long way out with this one - I thought perhaps £720 tops for the body only!

Well, at least I wasn't wrong about it 'not' seeming to be a budget model.

Thanks so much for your really helpful and very quick response. Makes me aware now that I seem to have a far more significant bargain than I first believed. I paid just £195 for my 20D body. It is GENUINELY mint and complete with original box, instructions, software and leads etc. In fact, just like the experience of purchasing a brand new camera body. I even got THREE genuine Canon batteries and a 1Gb CF card with it!

I am VERY pleased indeed.

Regards,
      Dave
      Last edited by dchamberlain; 01-01-2010, 15:42. Reason: Forgot to mention the extras included with my camera.

Comment

It looks like you got a great deal Dave.

I did quote the retail price and that only lasts as long as demand outstrips supply. As usual, when things settle down, the price does get discounted gradually more and more until the new model comes out. But to get a boxed minter for that money, plus batteries which would have been around £50 each .... you have done well!

Colin
        Colin

Comment

The 20D was my first digital camera, paid £960 BO
          The batteries run out fast so 3 batteries would be desirable, and it 'bitches' at some non- canon lenses ERROR 99. These are the only negative things I remember about the 20D. Great camera ! probably the best in it's class at the time, still very good.

Millie

Comment

Have just changed fr9om 20D to 7D. I loved the 20D, found the batteries lasted for ages. I also got Error messages occasionally, but it was always solved by making sure all the connections were clean - brake cleaning fluid does do a good job! I used it with a Canon 10-22; 100-400; 17-85 and Sigma 150 macro. I'd give you my spare batteries - BUT, am definitely going to keep it as a spare - especially if I find the 7d too hot to handle.
            I paid £1,300 for the 20D with the 17-85 lens. Good luck

Comment

Your poor 20D's probably feeling all neglected now you have a 7D

Isn't it amazing how small the 20D's lcd screen looks in comparison to todays models?

Millie

Comment

I have a 40D with my 20D as a backup. I got mine from Canada! Paid about £740 back in early 2005 so a very good deal. Great camera but new technology has come a long way since that. Small screen, no dust removal, full stop ISO selection,no ISO in the viewfinder..... small annoyances now but still a cracking camera for £200!
                5DIII, 5DII with Grips| 24-70 f2.8L MkII | 24-105 f4L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f1.8 | 100 f2.8 | 1.4x MkII | Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4 | 580EX II | 600EX RT | Stofen Diffuser | Manfroto 190 CF Tripod w/490RC2 | Epson R3000 | Lexmark CS 510 DE | Nova 5 AW | Mini Trekker AW | Lowepro x300AW | Lastolite Gear (inc HiLite 6x7) | Elinchrom Studio Gear & Quadras

Comment

Originally posted by Millie View Post
                  Your poor 20D's probably feeling all neglected now you have a 7D

Isn't it amazing how small the 20D's lcd screen looks in comparison to todays models?

Millie
                  Yes, I really struggled with old eyes and not being able to read the screen very well - love the larger font on the 7D - really makes me want to play around with all the options!

Comment

Working...
                  X