Seeking advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking advice.

This question has been asked many times before, I'm sure, however I'm going to ask it again! Whether I'll take the (probably conflicting) advice given or not, I don't know.

I have owned a camera for many years - started off with a Kodak Brownie, then Zenith E and went through serveral iterations until a few years back, I got a Canon EOS 20D off eBay. I've been happy with this, but I would like to upgrade.

Here's the question ... should I go for the EOS 650D (which seems to be coming in at reasonable prices, now that the 700D is available), or should I look at something like the 60D?

I have several Canon lenses and accessories, so another manufacturer really isn't an option.

I'm not a photographer - I'd like to be, but I simply take lots of pictures and hope that I get some decent ones!

I'd like a camera which is able to shoot video, have an 18MP sensor and really that's about it!

All advice is appreciated.
    Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Re: Seeking advice.

Hello Jock and welcome.

You simply cannot make a wrong decision on this one, they are all good, so let's look at the options:

You are not a photographer and don't wish to take it any further, go for the 700D. Having just checked Warehouse Express for prices, with the 650D at £509 and the 700D at £499, there is no reason not to have the very latest technology with some very useful upgrades over the 650D. It's a great little camera, will exceed your expectations and do everything you need it to.

If you have aspirations at being a better photographer, then the 60D has to be worth a look. More rugged than the 650D and a few more features to enable you to take more control of the camera as your skill level improves. At £45 over the 700D, you shouldn't need to sell a kidney to fund it.

These are just ball park prices. WEX are very competitive, but there may be better deals out there. Hope that helps?
    Colin

Comment

I have the 60D and it is a super camera. I especially like the fold out screen. I'm sure that will more than keep you happy.
      The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Ditto to Jaks Foto
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Canon 600D, with kit lens, bag and 4gb card. £420 brand new and sealed.
          It's 18mp and shoots 1080p video. Surely worth a look. There don't appear to be many of these new, though I'm sure I saw one in Currys the other day. I own this camera and it's great!

Comment

Thank you for the advice so far.

My biggest problem is that I can't actually easily go somewhere and play with any of the cameras - all our local camera shops have closed down and it's not so easy for me to travel too far, so I'm having to rely on advice.

So far:

EOS 650D - I can get the kit for £408, brand new - tempting.
            EOS 700D - Latest model - reviews say it's constructed better than the 650D - best price £567 - tempting.
            EOS 60D - I think this camera is overkill for me and the kit price £608 is just over my budget.

So now it comes down to is the 700D worth £160 more than the 650D?

Comment

Many of us started with a Brownie, Ilford Sport, Zenit E, Zorki, Praktica, .... and a very good foundation that provides.

Use Canon's own Compare Products site. To see camera's side by side (although the 650D is missing, the 600D, 700D, 100D and 60D are there) and decide what's important to you. You'll not go wrong with any of them ... but your aspirations, budget and required features will decide the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock View Post
                ...EOS 60D - I think this camera is overkill for me and the kit price £608 is just over my budget.
                I've just sold a 60D to MPB and it should now be available on their website - see advert at the top of the page.
                Bob Turner
                Dundee, Scotland UK.

Comment

You can get a refurbished 60D for between 400-500 pounds.

My personal view is that buying a 700D isn't worth it. A 650D will do the same job. It's the 600D vs 650D that proves an interesting argument. However, if I was going back I'd get a 650D. I owned a 600D for about 6 months and it was a perfectly capable camera.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that if you are not too bothered about the xxxD label then any of them would do. However now that I read that you want to do video then get a 650D with an STM lens. A 700D is simply a re badged 650D IMO.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

The difference between a 700D and 60D for just £41? That's not even the cost of a decent memory card.
                    Colin

Comment

How a bought a used 7D?
                      ef-r

Comment

Well, it looks like a decision has been made (for me, not by me!)

I really would like a kit because I don't have an IS lens and I'd like to buy new to get a decent warranty, so the 60D is really out of my price range.

After finding that many of the sites I'd priced up the cameras on were selling "grey imports", (I'm not 100% certain what they are except there may be warranty issues), I applied for permission to buy and was told, "We've got just under £100 in Nectar points so why not buy it in Argos!" Why not indeed? We don't have a local camera shop I can go to for advice any more and as Argos only do the 700D so that's what I'm going for.

No doubt this will only be the tip of the iceberg, so stand by for some "How do I take photographs?" threads!

Thank you everyone for your advice - it has all helped and I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock View Post
                          I really would like a kit because I don't have an IS lens and "We've got just under £100 in Nectar points so why not buy it in Argos!" Why not indeed?
                          If you buy from Argos, make sure you get an IS lens with whatever you're buying. I got stung buying from them, as they tend to knock out non-IS lenses with their kits, and I was so busy checking my camera for scratches to make sure it wasn't a returned-and-repackaged item that I failed to notice I was getting a non-IS lens.
                          I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by NickM View Post
                            If you buy from Argos, make sure you get an IS lens with whatever you're buying.
                            Thank you for that advice.

Comment

Working...
                            X