Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going from 7D to 6D ... good move?

So I have almost made up my mind ...

The 7D I have loved using and the lenses I have have allowed me varied subject possibilities. If I had to choose what is my favourite genre, however, I would say Landscape and big skies.

So I would sell my 7D, EF-70-300, EF-s10-22 and EF-s15-85 to help fund a 6D and EF-16-35L

I would still have my EF-100 macro, EF-24-105L and 70-300L.

I believe the low light performance is very good on the 6D and it's still very capable in other genres besides landscape.

I am also attracted by the Wifi for connectivity and GPS minor things I suppose. I am also interested in the iPad/iPhone link. If Canon are not going to give the top end cameras a flip-out screen to save my knees then this may be quite a good thing.

I believe the 6D is also quite light to carry.

On the downside I'm not sure about loosing the 100% view finder but should that worry me... may be not.

I have a good friend who has recently gone to the 6D and he has very kindly offer to let me have a go.

I'd be interested in your wise views and experience.

(Apologies if I have missed a thread which already discusses this, I did search)

Graydon
    Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
    EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Re: Going from 7D to 6D ... good move?

Graydon,

I haven't used a 6D but looking at all the reports I have seen it seems to have better IQ in some instances and better noise handling at high ISO than the 5D3 and if that is genuinely the case it will be very good indeed. IMHO it will do most things well but where you will see a big difference is in the wildlife / sport / BIF type photography but if this is not of interest to you the full frame and more modern sensor will do you proud.

If I were to replace my 50D which I use as a back-up to my 5D3 I would buy the 6D without hesitation

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Muscat,

Just got back from trying it out ... Thanks Chris. I think it might be a great move. Let's see :)
      Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
      EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Graydon, well done. I am going for it too as I have sold my 5D MK2. I hope to buy the 6d after my long haul hols in end of May/June. My travel insurance costs as much as my flight due to pre-existing medical conditions. I have checked this model out thorougly and I am quite happy to buy it.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

The difference between the 6D and 7D in terms of image quality are pretty much astounding. New sensor and killer low light performance means it's pretty much the king of FF. I know that's a big claim but I've sat bored on rainy days comparing them and no doubt the 6D even makes the 5D mkiii look like crazy money for what you get.

Granted you loose all those lovely focus points but it's always a trade off with photography :)
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by jonesgj View Post
            Thanks for the feedback Muscat,

Just got back from trying it out ... Thanks Chris. I think it might be a great move. Let's see :)
            I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
            Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
            http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
            https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

I have just gone from a 7D to the 5Diii, but I think the 5Diii and 6D are very similar image quality.
              I got the 7D approx 2010 after my 40D shutter failed. I was never impressed with the performance of the 7D, Especially after having a 40D. All my images were noisy, blue sky was 'muddy'. I followed all the discussions that the 7D was/wasn't noisy. I think I had a particularly poor model. I returned the camera to Canon, who claimed they had made some adjustments, but still mud. I did all the expose to the right stuff and used Topaz to remove the noise, I would never really use anything above ISO 400. I learned to live with it. So....what do I think of the 5D iii?? ASTOUNDING!!!!!! like night and day. Beautiful images!! I just want to go out and take pictures!!
              You will not be disappointed with the 6D.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                Graydon, well done. I am going for it too as I have sold my 5D MK2. I hope to buy the 6d after my long haul hols in end of May/June. My travel insurance costs as much as my flight due to pre-existing medical conditions. I have checked this model out thorougly and I am quite happy to buy it.
                Wow Nat, money to burn or what? - Still, if you think that the 2oz weight saving is worthwhile, go for it!

Comment

I would advise anyone thinking of going FF to try the 6D alongside the 5D3 ... you might be surprised at the difference in 'build quality' etc. But it might or might not sway your decision making process.

Comment

One thing that puts me off going FF to 6D from 60D is the lack of an EF alternative to the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS. The 24-70 is much more expensive, has no IS and some give it poor reviews.

I think I would also have to change my 50 1.4 to an 85 and there is no 1.4 option in the 85. Then there's the long stuff.... Basically looking at my set up its not the 1200 needed for the 6D that worries me its getting the right combo of lenses without spending crazy money.
                    Last edited by Riggers; 21-05-2013, 12:46.
                    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/leerigby/

Comment

I am of course committed to a FF after having used the 5D MK2. It is always nice to have both a crop and a FF body. The 6D has got GPS which I like and it is the model just below the 5D MK3. It also has got DIGIC 5
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I cannot comment on the difference in IQ between the 6D and the 5D mark lll, however when I made the move to FF the difference in perceived build quality was enough to make me go with the 5D. The iso performance on the 5D is outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Riggers View Post
                          One thing that puts me off going FF to 6D from 60D is the lack of an EF alternative to the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS. The 24-70 is much more expensive, has no IS and some give it poor reviews.

I think I would also have to change my 50 1.4 to an 85 and there is no 1.4 option in the 85. Then there's the long stuff.... Basically looking at my set up its not the 1200 needed for the 6D that worries me its getting the right combo of lenses without spending crazy money.
                          It could be argued that the 24-105 would give a not dissimilar - in fact wider range then the 17-55. And whilst not 2.8 the high iso improvement of the 6D would more than compensate for the loss of a stop. Meanwhile the FF sensor increases your DoF effect over the crop.

At 85mm you always have the option of the Sigma 1.4.
                          TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Wayne, sorry to correct you but F/F DECREASES d.o.f.- you get less d.o.f with F/F

Comment

By DoF Effect, I think Wayne meant Bokeh?

Comment

Working...
                              X