Sanity-Check required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sanity-Check required

Thanks Wayne, that was one article I'd already read through - along with Ken Rockwell, and a whole host of other comparative reviews. The upshot of these seems to be that the 6D's an excellent camera at a great price. I think Ken sums the choice up well, if you use your camera all day every day, then the 5D's the only option. If you use your camera less frequently the the 6D's the sensible choice.

As Colin pointed out though, phycological effects, and being a man come into play as well, and the sensible choice isn't always the correct one ;-)
    Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Originally posted by S_J_P View Post
      As Colin pointed out though, phycological effects, and being a man come into play as well, and the sensible choice isn't always the correct one ;-)
      Tell me about it. I've gone from fancying some L glass to buying two and now working hard on convincing myself that a 17-40 will be the better option over a 17mm TSE! After a UWA I really am done.
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

6D is on my radar too. My plan is to keep 60D, mainly to use Sigma 10-20 which I find to be a great lens. And to use the 24-105 I already have on the 6D and ponder a longer lens (L) in the future.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
          1. Collywobbles, I'd really like to hear about your Sigma in my UWA on a FF thread.

2. S_J_P, up until you made the last comment I would have said get the 5D3, now if you're wavering I'd suggest you go and have a serious look at the 6D. As you're aware I love it. I could have stretched to the 5D3, it is undoubtedly overall a better camera for most people. But... if you aren't going to use all the whistles and bells and don't need it's fantastic AF then the 6D is pretty impressive in its own right. For me the weight saving and not needing the AF made the 6D the logical and also right choice, the money saving was a bonus. Reading other forums and reviews the 6D which was originally slated over it's paltry AF is now accepted to be pretty good, better than the almost legendary 5D2 and seeing quite a few 7D owners switching too. Is it for you? only you can answer that, likewise only you know whether you can live with it or will still want a 5D3.
          Personally I wouldn't compromise, buy the body I want then work on getting the glass which once you've got will be good for your next body.
          As I said, I love my Sigma 12-24mm on F/F. It's the widest you can go without going all bendy fish-eye! I'll repeat; I love it, others may disagree but it's the widest rectilinear corrected lens you can get, so much so, my 17-40mm Canon is almost redundant! And at 24mm it's better than my 24-105mm Canon. Anyway, listen to The Master (Colin C.) he knows what he's talking about!

Comment

Thanks for that. I will have to see if I can find one.
            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Well I dithered, pondered, pontificated, stroked, caressed, researched, read, analysed, and finally came to a decision.

Canon EOS 6D.

Initial impressions are:
              It's small :-)
              It's noise-free up to ISO6400 :-)
              WiFi Liveview on the iPhone/iPad is a revelation :-)
              It feels so much better built than my 60D :-)
              AF is super-responsive :-)
              It's so quiet :-)
              No proper BBF (AF-On cannot be set to AF only, AF/Metering start is the best compromise) :-(

So I'm very pleased with it, only time will tell whether I find the AF a limitation, but at the moment I think it's a bargain-buy.
              Steve's kit - Canon 6D/EG-D/BG-E13/60D/EF-D/BG-E9/600 EX-RT/17-40L/24-105L/40/100L/70-200L/70-300/2x iii/Sigma 8-16/Yongnuo YN-568EX (x2)/YN560EX II/YN622C-TX/YN622C (x4)

Comment

Well done you.

Always lots of concern and worry before the decision is made, but now that it is fact, time to get on and enjoy it. The 6D is one of my favourites and great value for money in comparison with other bodies, but I wasn't aware of the lack of BBF though. However, as we all seemed to manage before BBF, not a major issue.

Enjoy your new toy ............. sorry, extremely necessary photographic tool.
                Colin

Comment

Enjoy ... I too didn't know you couldn't program the buttons to give you BBF ... so I checked and you can.

EOS 6D: C.Fn III-5 (Custom Controls -- Shutter, AF-ON, AEL buttons)

Taken from http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resou..._article.shtml

It's the second thing I do with a new camera (after setting it to do RAW).

Comment

C.Fn III-5 does allow quite comprehensive configuration of most buttons (DOF Preview, AF-On, * etc) and more than on the 60D, but whilst you can turn "AF-Start" off for the shutter-button (Making it metering-only), you can't assign "AF-Start" alone to the AF-On button, you can assign "AF/Metering Start" to the AF-On button, but that defeats part of the ideology of BBF in that metering and focussing are no longer separated.

Actually, having just reviewed my 60D settings, that has exactly the same set-up (contrary to what I thought I had set!). Shutter button is metering-start, and AF-On button is both metering and AF start.

I retract my :-( for the 6D. Thanks MX5 and Colin for enlightening me!

Oh, and Colin, toy could be the right word....

Comment

Oh, and Colin, toy could be the right word....
                      Second bit was added just in case Mrs P was reading.
                      Colin

Comment

Working...
                      X